EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Best Deka/Big Crank/East Penn battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 AM
CISO1969
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best battery for 97 Dyna Low Rider

I have a 1997 Dyna Low Rider. I am fairly new to all of this. I can go by what the dealer site says is the "right" battery for my bike. I'd rather ask here.

I know in my Xterra I am running a battery far larger then OEM Specs-so assume the same could be true of the scoot. Been busy fixing Xterra issues so the bike has been on back burner--but no more!

What would be the right size battery for my bike? My research tells me Deka is the best (they make the HD ones, Big Crank, East Penn too)

All help appreciated. Time I got this bad boy on the road.

Lee

Last edited by CISO1969; 04-23-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Pinetop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.apexbattery.com/deka-etx20l-1-battery-motorcycle-batteries-deka-motorcycle-batteries.html
Originally Posted by CISO1969
I have a 1997 Dyna Low Rider. I am fairly new to all of this. I can go by what the dealer site says is the "right" battery for my bike. I'd rather ask here.

I know in my Xterra I am running a battery far larger then OEM Specs-so assume the same could

be true of the scoot. Been busy
fixing Xterra issues so the bike

has been on back burner--but no
more!

What would be the right size battery for my bike? My research tells me Deka is the best (they make the HD ones, Big Crank, East Penn too)

All help appreciated. Time I got this bad boy on the road.

Lee

Old 04-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Rabbito
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pinetop
http://www.apexbattery.com/deka-etx20l-1-battery-motorcycle-batteries-deka-motorcycle-batteries.html
Damn 60 bucks for a battery I just ended up getting a auto zone battery. Made in 'merica lol haven't had a problem and cheaper then hd battery

Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM
CISO1969
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Pinetop

Pinetop: Thank you. I just read though that it is not actually a deka battery but made to replace one.

I was just reading through your post about 3 batteries in 3 years too LOL.

So did you wind up getting a bigger battery than that one? I saw you were fabbing a new battery shelf/bracket.?

Lee

Last edited by CISO1969; 04-23-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Pinetop
Tourer

I intended to weld one together but I took some time before committing that type of improvement/commitment, and made a Styrofoam block the size of a 30L battery and it was uncomfortable under my right leg. Maybe next battery. I will need to move the ignition switch, something I have wanted to do for a while. I can do a proper improvement not under time constraints given time to think about it. I have it on the board for an improvement. I just went with the 310 CCA AGM battery from Orielly's. and will see what happens. I was not impressed with the $140.00 battery the dealer quoted as the replacement/improvement battery.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Pinetop
Tourer
Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 AM
CISO1969
Cruiser

Thanks for that link. Looks like the Deka ETX20L is out of stock at East Penn (AKA DEka) themselves. Ergo it is out of stock at a lot of these drop ship, discount places, and the two local parts places deka recommended me to.

I have a chance to get the Advanced Auto parts Autocraft battery for about $71 after tax, a $50 discount and core charge...I hear autocraft is made for Advanced auto by Johnson Controls (that make the Optimas) and some are made by Exide--one of the largest battery makers like Deka. I just get this vibe that it's "cheap charlie" stuff....I might be overthinking it, who knows?

I think for the peace of mind of getting a deka product, and the ability to replace at an HD dealership anywhere in country if it fails under warranty, I might spend the extra $60 and get the Motor Company OEM one.

Anyone have any hands on experience with Autocraft batteries?

Lee

Old 04-25-2014, 09:27 AM
CISO1969
Cruiser

I bought the Harley Battery, Date code D14 so it was made in April 2014. 1 year warranty, made by deka, also the known track record and reputation and ability to get replacement at any HD dealership.

The autozone one had a 3 month warranty. If they arent trusting it to last after that, neither am I

Lee

Old 10-13-2014, 01:32 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CISO1969
Thanks for that link. Looks like the Deka ETX20L is out of stock at East Penn (AKA DEka) themselves. Ergo it is out of stock at a lot of these drop ship, discount places, and the two local parts places deka recommended me to.

I have a chance to get the Advanced Auto parts Autocraft battery for about $71 after tax, a $50 discount and core charge...I hear autocraft is made for Advanced auto by Johnson Controls (that make the Optimas) and some are made by Exide--one of the largest battery makers like Deka. I just get this vibe that it's "cheap charlie" stuff....I might be overthinking it, who knows?

I think for the peace of mind of getting a deka product, and the ability to replace at an HD dealership anywhere in country if it fails under warranty, I might spend the extra $60 and get the Motor Company OEM one.

Anyone have any hands on experience with Autocraft batteries?

Lee
Advance Auto Autocraft batteries are made by East Penn Manufacturing. same as a HD, Big Crank, AutoZone and some others. Identical except for the outside label and cover. This is as per EPM technical customer service. I run a Autocraft in my 09 Dyna. Johnson Controls makes Walmart Batteries or did.

check out the thread on HD Forums

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-buying-7.html

Old 10-13-2014, 07:45 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 2,872 Posts

DEKA batterys is what we use in my shop some in my own bikes have been in the bike over 5 years

Quick Reply: Best Deka/Big Crank/East Penn battery