EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Winter snowball

Old 12-26-2014, 07:49 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by billzflhtc
I had the same happen to me twice with the drives then got one that has been good 12000 miles, who knows. U didn't happen to stop at Gainesville Harley on the way to paradise did ya? to me they have been a great help with my 86, the parts guys and the service actually know about Evo's and are glad to find or fix what I cant.

I'm thinking it may be related to my "make it work" design.. We'll see though..

I didn't stop in Gainesville, was kind of in a rush to get to Orlando for work. From there it was all r&r to the Keys and came back the west coast.. Growing up in S.Fl, living down there for 28yrs, there's quite a bit of the state I hadn't seen. So, I planned my route around the west coast/gulf area.. Great trip through Arcadia, Crystal River and Chiefland.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:39 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Default Update on speedo

Well, after about 25k, I've gonever through 3 drives.. the "tang" keeps breaking off.. I've done 2 things to remedy this.. 1st was to add a rotor spacer to add support and get the "wheel" surface closer to the drive for more support. Think of it as driving the tip vs the entire length.. well, that didn't quite work by itself.... It broke in Delaware, on the way to grab a Philly in March....... Luckily the Walmart next to the hotel had beer and JB Weld! So, I added a couple dabs of epoxy to secure the drive on two sides, at the tab and 180deg from it.. worked perfectly and even came off when I took the wheel for a new tire.. so, it's almost a "hack" but I'm fine with it, aint dicking with it anymore, heading to Maine Friday... hope the info helps!

Had to create the groove with a dremmel

Old 08-03-2016, 05:54 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by HGM
Well, after about 25k, I've gone through 3 drives.. the "tang" keeps breaking off..
Do you have any idea what caused the tang to break off????????

Old 08-03-2016, 06:00 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Do you have any idea what caused the tang to break off????????
Yea, it's really just the side loading.. It's really a bad design, the way I'm using it.. by driving one point, it tends to **** the rotating plate, combining the leverage and movement, it just doesn't hold up.. each time it's broken, I've been on a trip, using cruise control.. so, I've had to improvise.. I honestly believe this is the most realistic fix and that there's nothing else wrong. It and the cable are lubed and turn freely.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:49 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

So, here's a pic of my "spacer" with some JB Weld hastily applied last night.. I'm not happy with how messy it turned out, but leaving tomorrow, it is what it is..

Old 08-04-2016, 07:28 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by HGM
So, here's a pic of my "spacer" with some JB Weld hastily applied last night.. I'm not happy with how messy it turned out, but leaving tomorrow, it is what it is..
If it works and you can't see it at 70mph then it's all good!!!!!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:48 PM
HGM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
If it works and you can't see it at 70mph then it's all good!!!!!
Haha, that's the attitude this week! I'll think more when I change the tire again!

You may be able to tell from the pic what I was trying to say about the wobble effects of the sensor. In fact, with this spacer and the "right" foam shim to take up the slop and support the ring, it may not need the epoxy at all.. I just haven't found the right piece yet..