EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What do you guys think about this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 12:47 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What do you guys think about this?

Shooting the bull the other day with my longtime auto mechanic, the subject of gasoline came up again somehow. I have always put Stabil ( red stuff) in my bikes ( both efi and carb) before longtime storage. Not that this is bad, but he was telling me that it's imperative that I use Ethanol treatment (green stuff) at least before winter storage instead. He showed me a bottle of the Lucas brand. Now I'm talking specifically about bikes with carburetors. I'll keep it short and simple ( he didn't), but basically the ethanol changes in today's fuels will cause deterioration of the gaskets. My guy also used to work on Harleys for years if that matters at all. And I believe he was saying the deterioration is more pronounced when a bike goes unrun and sits for a period of time. What concerned me was when he explained that there may be be little or no symptoms, the bike eventually will one time just decide not to start.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

So, exactly what does ethanol treatment do?

Old 05-14-2014, 02:36 PM
rapid49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go out of my way to find ethanol free gas. For those times that I can't get it (road trips etc. ) I make sure I use it up and not let it set in my bike. Ethanol sux .

Old 05-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Eddie Murphy said when you're hungry and somebody gives you a cracker you're excited, you think it's a Ritz...
We motorcyclists hear bad stuff about gas and we're quick to harp on it and say we've seen it eat gas lines and kill puppies... my cousin stored his bike 20 weeks in my sub-zero storage garage with NO gas treatment, no battery tender (2011 hyosung 250cc) and he turned the key and rode home. Jasper stored a bike (500cc kawa ninja) with 0 gas and a tender for the last 2 months and he rode home with no issues.
Op, I have added it before and I have not and ended up with the same results. I do know you have the motorboat manufacturers on your side and they will do everything in their power to fight warranty claims when you buy 'pump' gas and not marine gas.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:54 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

However the ethanol level in the fuel negatively affects the carburetor…..the ethanol treatment prevents it from doing so. Don't ask me how. I read the bottle and it said it cleans and treats the components so they remain in tip top working order. What's a few bucks vs being stranded in the wrong place at the wrong time?…….if this is all factual.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:00 PM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ethanol and gasoline cannot form a chemical bond; E10 fuel is formulated to be used within 30-45 days; after this point it begins to degrade, forming gums and other solids. These solids are what gum up carbs and cause an engine to suddenly run rough or be difficult to start. Stabilizing fuel (and especially E10) is critical, but there are two ways to go about this: a traditional chemical stabilizer (the red stuff) will do the trick, but it slightly decreases the combustibility of the fuel in the process, which is why an engine that has been idle for months will run a bit smokey when you do crank it up.
There is an enzyme fuel treatment that will stabilize fuel, but it also improves combustibility, so no smoke, easy starts and better performance (And fuel economy)

Not all ethanol treatments are the same; some are made with ethanol or another alcohol, which really can't help (Adding more alcohol to E10 only makes it worse) and some have emulsifying agents that will degrade plastic and rubber.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:04 PM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
Shooting the bull the other day with my longtime auto mechanic, the subject of gasoline came up again somehow. I have always put Stabil ( red stuff) in my bikes ( both efi and carb) before longtime storage. Not that this is bad, but he was telling me that it's imperative that I use Ethanol treatment (green stuff) at least before winter storage instead. He showed me a bottle of the Lucas brand. Now I'm talking specifically about bikes with carburetors. I'll keep it short and simple ( he didn't), but basically the ethanol changes in today's fuels will cause deterioration of the gaskets. My guy also used to work on Harleys for years if that matters at all. And I believe he was saying the deterioration is more pronounced when a bike goes unrun and sits for a period of time. What concerned me was when he explained that there may be be little or no symptoms, the bike eventually will one time just decide not to start.
Yep it's nasty stuff, not sure if it's across the US but we get it in our winter gas. It's a solvent and clogs everything up. I always change fuel filters in the cage in spring when they're done with that crap. It breaks down quickly especially in bike carbs and lowers the octane rating. I'm far from being an expert but I know it's nasty.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:09 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

From what I hear, ethanol levels have been changing frequently in the last year or two. So maybe the ill results haven't manifested yet. I was told, most damage occurs if the carb sets for a period without being treated. Don't understand why, but if you think about it, that might mean only a season or two for those of us that store for the winter.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior

billatstarbrite……sounds like your educated on the subject….what fuel treatment do you recommend?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I use Stabil. Read the label. It says it works for ethanol mixed fuel.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think about this?