Need to buy a new carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 AM
fleabagmatt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to buy a new carb

Hey all,

I have a 99 FLSTC that needs a new carburetor. I just want to replace the stock carb and I have a rebuild kit already. (Thanks to my own stupidity and impatience I destroyed my original carb trying to rebuild it.) I'm just wondering what to look for exactly when I search ebay. I've been searching for the part number that is on my current carb (27492-96), but I think that I don't need to limit myself to that number, do I? How do I know if something else will fit my bike?

Are there any other places I might look for something? I haven't seen anything recently listed here on this site.

Thanks for any tips,
Matt

edit: Just after posting this I checked the classifieds section and someone posted a carb a few days ago...for about $100 less than they seem to be going for on ebay. Guess I need to start checking daily.

Last edited by fleabagmatt; 05-21-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 AM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had an '01 FLHT and I replace the junk Kiehn with the Mikuni EZ 42 kit and a K&N filter. I just dialed in the idle and never touched it again. The difference was night and day.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:19 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an S&S on order for my bike. I'll sell you my Killer Cycle CV if you want it. It comes with the SE air cleaner. There's nothing wrong with it. I think the plastic cover on a part of the enricher cable might be burned from riding between the cylinders. It has already been rejetted and polished etc.. by Killer Cycle. It's set for a stage one (air cleaner and free flow mufflers on a FLHTC).

I can't remove it till the S&S gets here because I have a PGR mission this weekend to run.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:41 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

mikuni is the best of all of them - but what did exactly happen to the CV that makes it unusable -- other than braking off one of the ears for the float ?????? cant seam to think of what it could be -- johnjzjz

Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 PM
fleabagmatt
Novice

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
mikuni is the best of all of them - but what did exactly happen to the CV that makes it unusable -- other than braking off one of the ears for the float ?????? cant seam to think of what it could be -- johnjzjz
The air fuel mixture screw was stuck. All recommended attempts to get it out failed and led to frustration and trying to drill it out, which led to predictably embarassing results. By the end I knew the carb was toast, but continued drilling just teach the damn thing who's boss. The screw was pretty much completely drilled through, but the threads were still totally stuck in there, I never did get any of it out.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:03 PM
fleabagmatt
Novice

Originally Posted by falconbrother
I have an S&S on order for my bike. I'll sell you my Killer Cycle CV if you want it. It comes with the SE air cleaner. There's nothing wrong with it. I think the plastic cover on a part of the enricher cable might be burned from riding between the cylinders. It has already been rejetted and polished etc.. by Killer Cycle. It's set for a stage one (air cleaner and free flow mufflers on a FLHTC).

I can't remove it till the S&S gets here because I have a PGR mission this weekend to run.
I'm trying to do this on a really tight budget, hence my search for a stock carb. I'm guessing it's probably more than I can afford right now, but feel free to send me a pm with what you're asking for it.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:08 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabagmatt
The air fuel mixture screw was stuck. All recommended attempts to get it out failed and led to frustration and trying to drill it out, which led to predictably embarassing results. By the end I knew the carb was toast, but continued drilling just teach the damn thing who's boss. The screw was pretty much completely drilled through, but the threads were still totally stuck in there, I never did get any of it out.
so in the end the screw WON -- WOW

Old 05-21-2014, 03:52 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

If you can be patient Ebay will eventually have one.Other Keihins will work ,but I think there may be internal differences(not just jetting) in the many different numbers.
Real quick search I found 2 right off the bat .Search Harley cv carb.

Last edited by 01fxdxt; 05-21-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother

I would be interested if fleabag can't swing it. Fleabag than u could have mine for what you can afford. Mine is a new old take off I just put on a few weeks ago. Let me see if I have another for u to use. The trip is on u

Old 05-21-2014, 09:55 PM
doctorgoo
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any 40mm cv after 88 will work. The 88 will work but you won't have an accelerator pump. They're all the same. You just have to jet it for your bike. They are plentiful on ebay. A little patience can score one for under $75.

Quick Reply: Need to buy a new carb