EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Whine in the Evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 AM
factorybuilt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whine in the Evo

Just returned from a 1450 mile ride and at about 600 miles to home the Evo developed a whine from the front left side of the motor. It is stock with 50,300 miles on it. 1996 80 Evo. I had to have a new stator installed at 48,000.

I have a lifter tick now as well.

Is that noise a bad cam bearing?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Well, your year has the weaker cam bearing. A new whine noise and a new valve train noise in a motor with 50K on it is highly suspect for cam bearing. Others have reported the cam bearing noise sounding like it came from the left. 50K miles also is when others have reported the cam bearing going. And that's about it for lifter life, so it needs to come apart anyway.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like cam bearing noise to me... mine was howling like something else, and it already had a chunk broken off. Thankfully I found every single little piece and didn't have to split the case. You're overdue for a lifter swap as well. Time to get to work I guess...

Old 05-27-2014, 05:51 PM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine had that very same 'whine'.. Everyone said it was normal! I built my motor, (not because of the whine)and I put a open belt drive on, the whine is gone now. Well, I cant hear **** any more over there.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:16 PM
factorybuilt
Road Captain

I took it to local Indie shop and at first they it was normal but, then the tech took it for a ride. As like everyone here as said, definitely cam bearing. Yup, looks like lifters, cam check, and new bearing. I have read a lot posts today. Looks like the Torrington bearing is the prefered bearing but, a couple of different lifters recommended. harley "B", Andrews, and S&S.

Any thoughts on the lifters?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Wayne

Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Kees
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Johnson Hylift lifters....

Old 05-27-2014, 07:46 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by junglejoe
Mine had that very same 'whine'.. Everyone said it was normal! I built my motor, (not because of the whine)and I put a open belt drive on, the whine is gone now. Well, I cant hear **** any more over there.
Did you put the B-138 full compliment bearing in?
Originally Posted by factorybuilt
I took it to local Indie shop and at first they it was normal but, then the tech took it for a ride. As like everyone here as said, definitely cam bearing. Yup, looks like lifters, cam check, and new bearing. I have read a lot posts today. Looks like the Torrington bearing is the prefered bearing but, a couple of different lifters recommended. harley "B", Andrews, and S&S.

Any thoughts on the lifters?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Wayne
Torrington B-138 or Koyo B-138, they're both the same... whatever is easiest to get. As far as lifters go, I have Johnson Hylifts in mine and they work great.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

My thought is, if you're changing the cam bearing and lifters, you might as well change the cam.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 PM
junglejoe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=tmanbuckhunter;12782291]Did you put the B-138 full compliment bearing in?

Torrington in mine...

And the Op, I have used V-thunder lifters on BOTH motor builds, Not one problem!

Old 05-28-2014, 01:27 PM
factorybuilt
Road Captain

Thanks again for all the great info! As I read thru all of the info on this endeavor, I didn't see any mentions of oil pressure concerns. I did not see any oil pressure change, just thought I would ask if there were any concerns, or thoughts about that??

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Whine in the Evo