EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need help wiring a new tail light

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Maxdog2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help wiring a new tail light

1995 Electra Glide. I bought a Drag Specialties lay down blue dot tail light. The light has a red and black wire. The light I removed has a black wire, blue, and red/yellow. My manual shows the red/yellow to be the stop and I believe the blue to be the tail. The black has no label best I can tell with my best reading glasses, man the print is small. I am not 100% the blue is the tail with the small print. Can someone point me in the correct direction? thanks

Old 05-29-2014, 06:13 PM
Maxdog2
Tourer

I may have found my answer on the web. The pictures shows mounting the original black wire from the harness to the tail light mounting bolt for a ground. The red/yellow wire from the harness connects to the black wire from the tail light for the brake light. The blue wire from the harness connects to the red wire from the tail light for the running light. Does this sound correct?

Old 05-29-2014, 06:29 PM
Maxdog2
Tourer

Didn't work.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Maxdog2
Tourer

Originally Posted by Maxdog2
Didn't work.
One more question. Is the negative terminal to the battery good for the ground? I used this because the light is not mounted.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:44 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

simple use a 9 volt battery and swap the wires around till you get the tail and the stop lights to work and write it down tail color stop color and what wire is the ground if its all plastic - then turn the lights on see what color is the tail then the stop light and your good to go with connecting the right colors to the bikes colors

Old 05-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Maxdog2
Tourer

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
simple use a 9 volt battery and swap the wires around till you get the tail and the stop lights to work and write it down tail color stop color and what wire is the ground if its all plastic - then turn the lights on see what color is the tail then the stop light and your good to go with connecting the right colors to the bikes colors
Checked and the red/yellow is the stop, the blue is the tail, and the black is ground. What I don't understand is how to connect the new tail light with two wires. It is a double filament bulb. thanks John.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Checked and the red/yellow is the stop, the blue is the tail, and the black is ground. What I don't understand is how to connect the new tail light with two wires. It is a double filament bulb. thanks John.
the OEM tail light is USA made and it has a metal back plate so it does not need the 3rd black wire that is the ground for the new light -- in your case the 3rd black ground should be fine under the steel mounting bolts for you new light to the fender -- try it the light should only work if you ground it -- you can also bolt on the tail light then use another nut on one of the mounting bolts to put that back wire on and the light will be grounded - no need to string it all the way to the battery

Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,693 Likes on 1,341 Posts

I may have found my answer on the web. The pictures shows mounting the original black wire from the harness to the tail light mounting bolt for a ground. The red/yellow wire from the harness connects to the black wire from the tail light for the brake light. The blue wire from the harness connects to the red wire from the tail light for the running light. Does this sound correct?
That sounds reasonable. Experiment with some clip leads and a battery until you get it figured out. Yes, battery negative terminal is a good ground point. Put: One clip lead from the battery negative to the mounting bolt of the new light. One clip lead from the battery positive to each wire in turn. What happens?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Black is ground. Older bikes like ours didn't use a wire, the stock lights were self grounding.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,693 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Now, MY BIKE tail light has a red and a green, with the ground through the chassis, as mentioned. MY BIKE has a black wire that is the right turn signal. The left turn signal is violet.

Find me a schematic of YOUR BIKE and your new tail light and I'll give you a definitive answer.

Quick Reply: Need help wiring a new tail light