EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Super E Jetting

Old 06-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super E Jetting

Well it's been a long road trying to get this bike tuned properly. I finally got it happy, but I'm really confused by the results. First, I am the third owner and have no idea what kind of build is in it. I alway believed it to be basically stock with a mild cam in it. The on-going problem was that it would run super lean on the bottom end and rich in the mid range and lean on the top. Original jetting when I first bought the scoot, was 295 and 68.

I'm going to spare you the long, long story of all the jetting changes. It now seems to be MOSTLY happy but not quite right! The largest low speed jet in the kit was 33, I had to drill it out to about a 35. The bike still seems to want a little more fuel but runs well, idles smooth and low speed cruise without hunting or popping. Exhaust is clean and smells right. I need to use the enricher for a couple minuets when first starting. A 35 jet on the bottom end would seem to indicate a large displacement. However, what has me confused is the main jet; I had to drop all the way down to 66.

The bike now pulls like a beast off the line, but the top end power curve still flattens out and run like it wants a lot more fuel. If I change to a 68 or larger, though, the bike falls flat on it's face like it's too rich, smaller than a 66 and it's definately too lean. Also, as I've given it more fuel, the charecteristics of the cam have become more pronounced. It now acts like it's a larger cam than I first thought.

How can I need such a large jet on the bottom for the bike to run properly but will only handle a relatively small one on the top? Am I missing something?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,681 Likes on 1,338 Posts

The idle mixture circuit is working properly, right? Also, the later E's have one more adjustment: A jet screwed into the hole in the top of the float area. The size of that hole changes where the changeover happens from the mid range to the main jet. My vintage E has the hole, but doesn't have a tapped jet in it.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
The idle mixture circuit is working properly, right? Also, the later E's have one more adjustment: A jet screwed into the hole in the top of the float area. The size of that hole changes where the changeover happens from the mid range to the main jet. My vintage E has the hole, but doesn't have a tapped jet in it.
Hey, Doc, good to talk to you again, it's been a long time. Yes, the mixture circuit appears to be working corectly. My Super is an old one, just like yours. If I'm correct, the fixed air bleed brings the main jet on at 2500? I haven't touched the orfice yet.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:11 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Im running a 295 intermediate and 72 main. seems to work for my Ev27, 10.1.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by aces&8s
Im running a 295 intermediate and 72 main. seems to work for my Ev27, 10.1.
Yeah, already been there. 295 is way, WAY to lean. Bike doesn't want to start, or idle and hunts and pops continuosly on a low speed cruise.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:57 PM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts

Third sentence is the million dollar question. Without knowing the build, would be hit miss on the tune.
The E might not be enough for it.
Has the whole carb been removed, completely disassembled, cleaned thoroughly, and reassembled with new gaskets?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:02 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammed-N-Senseless
Yeah, already been there. 295 is way, WAY to lean. Bike doesn't want to start, or idle and hunts and pops continuosly on a low speed cruise.
OK, could it be something else because my 295--72 jets on a built 80" is running great by the color of my plugs and performance.
If I go a 74 main I get blackened plugs.. ??
S&S E will handle any 80" built or not..

Old 06-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,681 Likes on 1,338 Posts

That whole air bleed thing is all new for me and I haven't messed with it. I just remember that changing the size moves where the changeover point is.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by V-Twins & Bowties
Third sentence is the million dollar question. Without knowing the build, would be hit miss on the tune.
The E might not be enough for it.
Has the whole carb been removed, completely disassembled, cleaned thoroughly, and reassembled with new gaskets?
Thats kind of what I was wondering. Is it possible that the E wont flow enough? Let's say the motor has been poked and stroked. Could it require more than the E is able to deliver? Although, 35 + 68 is only 1.03 total it should be able to flow more than that right?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

Originally Posted by aces&8s
OK, could it be something else because my 295--72 jets on a built 80" is running great by the color of my plugs and performance.
If I go a 74 main I get blackened plugs.. ??
S&S E will handle any 80" built or not..
I don't know what else it could be? The carb is clean and rebuilt and no leaks anywhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Super E Jetting