EVO All Evo Model Discussion

hi flow petcock opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 06:27 PM
sdmfinphxaz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi flow petcock opinion

Hey everyone, looking for some opinions on using a hi flow petcock on a near stock evo. I have had problems with fuel starvation at high rpm's (i.e. opening up the throttle at freeway speeds and going nowhere).
I had one guy tell me to install a hi flow petcock (in addition to carb tuning), then at the harley shop today the guy told me a stock evo should not need that.
Looks like the options are very expensive pingel, or cheap chinese made that will eventually fail (leak).

I just bought a jet kit, rebuild kit, new plugs, and baffles for the straight pipes. Bikes a '95 FXSTC.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Rabbito
Tourer

What I've heard is you don't need high flow unless it's a large motor. There could be something wrong with your voes. And it wouldn't hurt to male sure carb is set up right

Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Slammed-N-Senseless
Tourer

No, I wouldn't think youd have any problem with fuel flow. I recomend giving the carv a thorough cleaning and rebuild. Then, lets see what happens. Don't open the jet kit just yet. You may not need it.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:01 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Don't need a pingle but if ya got one it gives ya bragin rights. My bike came with one So.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 PM
superglide93
1st Gear

You shouldn't need to change the petcock unless your running a large cubic inch fuel sucking motor.
Stock motors are power starved because of EPA regulations. The motor need to be woke a bit and your on the right path with a jet kit. Don't forget about a better air cleaner system, one that allow the bike to breath better. K&N filters work great for this and still give good protection. They're a bit expensive but their good for live.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:16 PM
sdmfinphxaz
6th Gear

Cool. I did find a lot of brass shavings in the float bowl, as well as a bunch of crud around the petcock screen.

I'll give it a good clean and probably step up the jets.

Also have a big sucker air cleaner installed, so thinking that + straight pipes (soon to be baffled), carb will definitely need to be jetted.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by sdmfinphxaz
Cool. I did find a lot of brass shavings in the float bowl, as well as a bunch of crud around the petcock screen.

I'll give it a good clean and probably step up the jets.

Also have a big sucker air cleaner installed, so thinking that + straight pipes (soon to be baffled), carb will definitely need to be jetted.

I was going to suggest inspecting and cleaning the petcock screen before going anywhere else. The stock petcock is more than adequate for anything but a very big bore motor.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

If it's a vacuum petcock I had problems with my valve under the seat behind the battery tray. I bought a new valve for $2.95 from my favorite indy close to home and haven't looked back. Same problem you're having, 0-60 no problem, going with the flow of freeway cages at 75 - 85mph and I was all jammed up. It would not get up and go not sustain those speeds. 1998 fltr.
Tom

Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

One of the first modifications to my 93 was to install a Pingel petcock. Smoother operation than The MoCo part.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
One of the first modifications to my 93 was to install a Pingel petcock. Smoother operation than The MoCo part.

And 14 extra horsepower...

Quick Reply: hi flow petcock opinion