EVO All Evo Model Discussion

pinion gear /ev27

Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 PM
cowboy 51
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pinion gear /ev27

So I have a broken Pinion gear & new ev27 cam been trying to see what P gear to by , call Andrews today they said bike should have had a red dot ,& to buy a blue dot pinion gear to run with there cam & cam gear (it came on the cam) , any thoughts ?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy 51
So I have a broken Pinion gear & new ev27 cam been trying to see what P gear to by , call Andrews today they said bike should have had a red dot ,& to buy a blue dot pinion gear to run with there cam & cam gear (it came on the cam) , any thoughts ?
Measuring is the only real way of understanding what you need.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:33 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy 51
that's strange that they would tell you that like spanner said the only way to know for sure is measure it. but the manual say use matched sets red to red as ive always done in the past. after I install the cam I install the cover and check the clearance by ear and feel. roll the crank two revolutions and check every 90deg. you should have a very small amount of play in the gears at every point you check if you have any tight spots go with the next size down witch is blue. if its to loose go to the next size up yellow.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:44 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EV27 cam gear to pinion gear match.?

Originally Posted by D_gyver
that's strange that they would tell you that like spanner said the only way to know for sure is measure it. but the manual say use matched sets red to red as ive always done in the past. after I install the cam I install the cover and check the clearance by ear and feel. roll the crank two revolutions and check every 90deg. you should have a very small amount of play in the gears at every point you check if you have any tight spots go with the next size down witch is blue. if its to loose go to the next size up yellow.
Just had a 90 Evo motor rebuilt by the most recommended dude in my area and am happy with the results so far. I too was consirned about matching the original pinion gear to the Andrews EV27 cam . He advised that he does the same as the above and that playing around with different color gears as Andrews discribes is usually not needed. In my case he said this was true also.
Im left to assume that Andrews includes this gear matching procedure as a customer service / cover there *** disclaimer / actuall point of interest while installing cam.?
Im sure if you follow D-gyver advise you can go with the original pinion gear or you can follow Andrews advise and color match the gears. Its your choise.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:01 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,522 Likes on 2,865 Posts

what exactly broke on or with the pinion gear - my take something stopped and it twisted its self into a snap --

Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ditto johnjzjz

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
what exactly broke on or with the pinion gear - my take something stopped and it twisted its self into a snap --
Forgot to ask the same question .

What do you mean ... broken pinion gear ???

A broken gear usually means a lot of damage to softer parts before a hard part such as a gear .?

Can you elaborate or send pics.?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

I was thinking the same thing why did it break.
I think when the cam was installed they used the stock pinion and it was probably a black or green gear. just my guess

Old 06-26-2014, 06:46 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,522 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by D_gyver
I was thinking the same thing why did it break.
I think when the cam was installed they used the stock pinion and it was probably a black or green gear. just my guess
if that is the case than the pinion bearing race and or bearing has been damaged

the load placed on it straight up was extream to crush rockwell C 65 steel ya think

Old 06-26-2014, 07:07 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

if that is the case than the pinion bearing race and or bearing has been damaged

the load placed on it straight up was extream to crush rockwell C 65 steel ya think
theres a lot of things that could be wrong if it was caused by an over tight or loose gear. worst case he needs new crank and cam bearings and bushings and true the crank

Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 PM
D_gyver
Road Master

I have seen it once ripped all the teeth off the pinion from a loose gear set and all it hurt was the gears and the breather

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pinion gear /ev27