FXR & Dyna Shifter Linkage Sleeve Issues; leaks, wobbles etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FXR & Dyna Shifter Linkage Sleeve Issues; leaks, wobbles etc

Hi.

I'm doing a FXR mid-control conversion/installation and was reading in Donny Peterson that there were a number of gear shift linkage sleeve issues and an H-D tech paper about these.

It's amazing ... side to side, I have about .33" free play, and there is some up and down movement. In short, it's sloppy as hell and I'd like to improve it.

He and other forum posts mention

a) some leak oil
b) some tighten up as the cases become hot, that's to say, the linkage is sloppy when cold but as the alloy expands the rod through the primary case tightens up.

The "cure", according to him and the H-D tech release is a metal sleeve which Vulcan Works sell (I'm thinking of making up my own slightly longer one to fit and take up the slack).

A couple of questions ...

Is this serious ... do the cases expand enough to squash the plastic sleeve enough to grip and stick the shifter rod?

How much of a problem is this leak ... is it widespread? (I'd like to do it once, get right, and never have to think about it again. I'm thinking mine might as it is a little loose in the inspection cover).

I'm thinking if leaks are not a widespread problem, it's something that might be fixed by putting a spring or bush behind the primary case to hold the rod in position.

... I'm also thinking if you drilled the sleeve you could have an built in lubrication system for the rod from chain case oil splash!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd use the stock parts and see how it works out. Mine is fine at 93k miles. No slop, no leaks.

Ride more......... read less.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

I'd use the stock parts and see how it works out. Mine is fine at 93k miles. No slop, no leaks.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Owtlaw

Double poster

Double poster

Old 07-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

In 300,000 miles on my '89 I had no problems with leaks from the shifter. I changed the sleeve out a couple of times and replaced the )-rings every time I had the primary opened up.

DO NOT DRILL A HOLE IN THE SLEEVE.....It'll leak like a sieve if you do.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by traildog
Double poster

Double poster
I'll blame it on the crappy Wi Fi at this hotel.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair comment.

In my defence, the idiot I asked to drill out an FLHR inner case to suit did so slightly off centre ... and then messed around with the hole in the inspection cover to compensate and left the hole slightly egg shaped. Or did so using the inspection cover to line up the hole at the back ... without checking if the inspection cover itself was lined up.

I get so sick of such stuff. Honestly, most of the time you need to stay stood over people watching what they are doing and thinking for them because even if you tell them explicitly ... they'll do it different after you turn your back.

I'm trying to retrieve it now, without welding it all up and starting again.

Does yours slip in and out a fair bit too, or is it tight in that plane?

Old 07-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

The shaft through the primary has a fair bit of play, but I think that's the design. The only time I've had the inspection cover off was at the shop, so I actually wasn't "hands on" although I was over the mechanic's shoulder.

That off center drill job could cause you problems, but if it were mine, I'd assemble it and see if/how much it leaked. Oil in the primary is at a relatively low level which would, I imagine, make that area pretty tolerant of a poor seal.