Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I didn't do that Texas. Should I?

Old 07-14-2014, 06:41 PM
bluharley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mikula
never heard of that about the bars falling to one side or the other. mine has done that from the day i got it.
Mine does it too, between the clutch cable ans the throttle cables, it just does it.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by junglejoe
No, I didn't do that Texas. Should I?

It depends on the method you used to tighten the axel.
If you put a screwdriver in the axle hole to hold it steady then you shouldn't have to but if you used the cap nuts to hold the axle when you tightened the nut then you definitely have to.

If you used the cap nut to hold the axle steady while you tightened the axle nut then you have slightly pulled your forks together and they are no longer parallel.

I would do it just because it is easy and only takes a couple of seconds.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 PM
junglejoe
Road Master

I held it with a screwdriver then tightened it.. But I'll re-do and see if that helps. Planned on riding it to Florida here soon, But can't get it on the highway, around town it's fine, but I have 1000 miles to cover one way on that trip.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Jeffs386
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

as far as i can tell the death wobble has more to do with the swingarm and frame than the front of the bike

http://www.showmemotorcycles.com/har...ous-it-can-be/

Old 07-14-2014, 07:02 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

the symptoms are at the front of the bike but the problem could be at the rear of the bike.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 PM
junglejoe
Road Master

What is weird, only thing I changed was tires, and then it started this.THOUGHT about putting the dunlops back on, just to eliminate tires or see if it stops. Doubt that will solve it,2 new sets of tires and it still is there. Wasn't before

Old 07-14-2014, 10:02 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

While I never had the so called "death wobble" on any FL I have owned, (89,98,00,01,11,12) When they would be squirrely (it would ride like its all over the road) I would tighten the head nut anywhere from 1/8 to a 1/4 turn tighter. Wrong or not, it worked for me. No ill effects. YMMV.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i did have a slight wobble when i purchased my bike. as i was checking belt tension (among other things) i measured the distance between my rear axle and the swingarm pivot on both sides, and i was off by just over 1/8 inch. re-adjusted it and the wobble went away. might be something to double check.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:58 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffs386
as far as i can tell the death wobble has more to do with the swingarm and frame than the front of the bike

http://www.showmemotorcycles.com/har...ous-it-can-be/
I cant believe I read that I think it might have made me dumber.
fact is any 2 wheeled vehicle can experience this problem. not mainly Harleys and the main causes are lateral stiffness of the front tire (under inflated front tire or bad tires) height of bike center of mass(tall handle bars, fairings will amplify the problem) distance of bike center of mass from rear wheel (extended swingarms and frames) and the trail of the front end(installing to tall or to short of a rim and tire) the trail is very very important.
think of it this way look at a shopping cart when the front wheel gets bent back it throws the trail off and it wobbles.

those are just a few of the main reasons. there are a lot of other thing that will amplify the problem bad shocks, loose neck, alignment of front and rear wheels,and the list goes on.

Quick Reply: death wobble