EVO All Evo Model Discussion

EVO reliability question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 AM
lfmn16
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO reliability question

I'm looking at buying a 1993 FXSTC with 47,000 miles on it. It looks like it's in good condition, but you never know how it was treated before you got it. My general question is how many miles should a well maintained EVO go without major maintenance and what should I be looking at possibly having to replace at 50,000 miles?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 AM
unnnivers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/bike2.shtml

Read about that family and their bike - there are all descriptions including repairs and mileage (kilometrage - they are australians). 610 000 km - it's impressive

Old 07-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,481 Likes on 4,604 Posts

I`ve been riding an `89 FLSTC since I bought it new, and have done all my own mechanical work (over 140,000 miles so far).

Here`s my suggestions:

Change the lifters, the originals in `93 were of an older design that was upgraded mid-`90s. OEM Harley lifters are fine.

Try to find out if the front belt drive pulley has been upgraded to the latest (`94 and later) configuration.

The pulley setup was upgraded in `94 to address a problem with the front pulley retaining nut coming loose, which can cause substantial damage.

The upgrade consists of a new Pulley, Nut, Lock Plate, Oil Seal, Spacer.

If the bike still has the old pulley setup, replace the old hardware with upgraded parts.

A well maintained `93 Evo Big Twin is as dependable as any motorcycle made back then-or made now…

Old 07-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Here`s my suggestions:

Change the lifters, the originals in `93 were of an older design that was upgraded mid-`90s. OEM Harley lifters are fine.

Try to find out if the front belt drive pulley has been upgraded to the latest (`94 and later) configuration.

The pulley setup was upgraded in `94 to address a problem with the front pulley retaining nut coming loose, which can cause substantial damage.
All that, and I'd be looking at replacing the stock cam AND the stock cam bearing. I've had the drive pulley upgrade (long story), but if I ever need to go in there a third time, I'll pay the big $$$ and get the JIMS kit. Better design, IMHO.

BTW, by 93 (owned since new), has 53K on it, still has the OEM lifters (replacing this winter). If you are new to HD, and the bike is stock, the first thing you will want to do is swap out the air cleaner, add a performance exhaust, and change to an aftermarket cam. Toss in a new ignition and a good tune on the stock CV carb, and you'll have a really nice ride.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

All good advice. Lifters ,cam ,cam bearing and pulley. Run it. It's like and old happy farm tractor and will run forever with a little common sense

Old 07-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
It's like and old happy farm tractor and will run forever..
Funny you said that, as I was riding into work today, and going up the six floor of the parking structure to get to the employee area, I was thinking how my EVO sounded (and pulled) like a John Deere Model A. Two big pistons thumping along, and that sweet sound.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Son of PMS
Tourer
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

That's one of the things I like about them. I pulled plows,disks, cultivators, and swathers for my granddad on a John Deere 60 and a John Deere 70. Slow puttin' on a Harley brings me back to those peaceful days on the North Dakota prairie.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

What the? Who the? JOHN DEERE? You buncha............

Mine runs like a HHHHHHARLEY.............

Old 07-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by unnnivers
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/bike2.shtml

Read about that family and their bike - there are all descriptions including repairs and mileage (kilometrage - they are australians). 610 000 km - it's impressive
That's a great article. Their experience shows the strengths and the weaknesses of Harleys. They really have the bike loaded down with stuff, and they seem to put it through hell. Looks like the main weak point is the drive belt.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:23 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A motorcycle is only as reliable as the owner who maintains it. If you suck, your motorcycle will suck; doesn't matter what is on the tank.

Quick Reply: EVO reliability question