EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Tire cupping/scalloping

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tire cupping/scalloping

So, we had a big ride yesterday. Before the ride I was doing my usual wash and close inspection. I noticed that my rear tire was scalloping. I did the ride and some of my friends thought that even though there is decent treat on that tire I should replace it. I spoke with a bike mechanic and he said (without actually seeing the tire) that scalloping is perfectly natural and to just keep on riding on it till I run the tread low enough to need a new tire.

While at was at the dealership I asked them how much it would cost me for a new tire. I got sticker shock when they said $325.00 bucks for an HD Dunlop. I have never paid that much for a tire, especially a very average tire like the HD Dunlop. And, they said it takes two hours to mount it...TWO HOURS!! So, when I decide that I need a tire I'll pull the wheel myself and repack my own bearings. I have bought a stack of tires in my life and never have I paid nearly that much for a tire. Heck, the huge rear tire mounted on my old Valkyrie took 40 minutes and cost just over $200 for a better tire.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,988 Posts

I hear you. It sucks that I can put 4 tires on my car for less than 2 on the bike, but there you are. Still, that's way more than I've ever paid for a Dunlop tire for my bike.

Then again, I usually wait until a sale. Our local dealer has a sale at least twice a year, so I always pick up a set and store them until I need them.

You might want to look at the condition of your shocks and motor/swingarm mounts. I realize my bike is different (Softail), but one of the first indications I have that my shocks are on the way out is a drastic drop in rear tire life.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 07-21-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My swingarm bushing was replaced recently but, I do tend to run my shocks soft. It's perfect when I'm alone but two up it's too soft. Way too soft.. Doh!!

Old 07-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Takes me more than two hours to get the rear tire on/off/adjusted/aligned/belt tension/tire mounting/balancing/bearing grease maybe....etc etc... @ 85/hour plus tire cost, that's about right...

Scalloping is not normal, might not be a huge issue but its not normal, normal is even wear.... I've had 3 harleys and many tires, never had it happen so I cant tell ya what it is...

Ds

Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

My '09 Dyna Fat Bob developed cupping on my factory Dunlops within 5,000 miles. No more Dunlops, no more cupping...I've run Michelins ever since.

As for tire prices, they have shot up over the past three years along with gas and other petroleum products.