EVO All Evo Model Discussion

pulsing brakes

Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,826 Likes on 8,403 Posts

Emery cloth to a rotor? That should wear your brake pads down in a big hurry. Most auto parts stores carry brake parts cleaning solutions. It breaks down and removes oils and other crap that can build up on your rotors causing the pulsing that you are feeling. I don't think you are going to be able to see deviations in your rotor while spinning it on the wheel unless you can either lock the fork system down so it doesn't turn right or left, or take the wheel off and mount it in a trueing stand. As far as sanding a rotor smooth with an emery cloth, that's going to take a long while. Would be more worth your while to just buy a new rotor. Just go in and ask your garage mechanic what the process is in turning a rotor then ask him what he thinks of sanding the rotor with emery cloth. I'm sure he will laugh.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Emery cloth to a rotor? That should wear your brake pads down in a big hurry. Most auto parts stores carry brake parts cleaning solutions. It breaks down and removes oils and other crap that can build up on your rotors causing the pulsing that you are feeling. I don't think you are going to be able to see deviations in your rotor while spinning it on the wheel unless you can either lock the fork system down so it doesn't turn right or left, or take the wheel off and mount it in a trueing stand. As far as sanding a rotor smooth with an emery cloth, that's going to take a long while. Would be more worth your while to just buy a new rotor. Just go in and ask your garage mechanic what the process is in turning a rotor then ask him what he thinks of sanding the rotor with emery cloth. I'm sure he will laugh.
It actually works because it lets you re-bed the brakes. Not the same as turning rotors. And it's quite easy to check the runout while mounted using a dial caliper.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:14 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pulsing brake lever

Originally Posted by patcham48
Hi all.
Can anyone tell me the cause of a pulsing brake lever? I took my 1995 Road king for its annual MOT test a little while ago and the tester failed it on a fluctuating front brake, indicating that either one or both front rotors are warped/worn. Although I couldn't feel anything.
I have fitted two new front rotors, fitted new pads in both callipers and re-shimmed both callipers, just in case. I should say that they are not stock callipers, but 4 pot Harrison billet ones that have been on the bike for years.
I took her for a test ride before booking her in for a re-test and I can feel a slight pulsing through the brake lever. I don't want to ride it now because I fear possibly warping the new rotors.
Anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me
As you have said ., you didnt feel anything before you had the test and now after replacing rotors , pads and caliper shims you now feel a pulse .???
Thats very wierd i must admit ., so where do we go from here ?
1) i think we can eliminate any problems with the calipers as long as you feel they are mounted correcty etc.
2) the rotors are new and we can assume they are true ., did you clean the storage oil off the rotors before installing them ?
3) i think we can eliminate any problems with the new pads as long as you have cleaned the rotors as described in point #2 . If not , you will require new pads as they have been contaminated with the storage oil.
4) a brake pulse on a test dyno could also possibly be caused by other than a brake issue . Visually check your tire for any obvious weak spot and have a balance test done "on both tires" to verify that all is well there.
5) While having the tire balance test done , the shop should be able to test the wheel runout , wheel bearing condition etc. to help you eliminate these possible causes also.
Please let us know what you find here.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:51 AM
patcham48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for you input, I purchaced a second set of rotors as the first new ones were warped. Booked it in to the garage for another mot. Whilst riding to the garage my heart sank!!! same as before - pulsing through the lever. The tester put it onto the machine and the reading for the front brakes was WORSE than the last set!!!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,683 Likes on 1,339 Posts

What does the front wheel look like? I'm wondering if the front wheel is warped at the ub or there's trash there or something, and when you bolt the new rotor down, it is picking up the warp.

Pads, forks, calipers, transmission oil or brake lights will have no effect on a pulse. It has to be the pad to rotor interface pushing in and out. Now, why would new rotors warp? Were they warped when you put them on? Take them off and check for trueness. Put them on, put the front wheel up in the air and spin it and check with a dial indicator. Take it for a ride, come back and check it. Are these Genuine H.D. rotors or cheap Chinese crap?

Old 08-16-2014, 12:19 PM
patcham48
Cruiser

Hi Dr Hess.
The wheels look good and there isn't even a hint of a wobble whilst riding the bike, you only notice any thing when you pull on the lever, even slightly. The discs are not from HD but they are from a reputable dealer - Motorcycle warehouse.
If the bearings were at fault, wouldn't I be getting some indication whilst riding? the calipers are central and the pads are new.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

With the front wheel in the air and a dial indicator on the disks, spin the wheel and see what you get. Measure on all 4 disk faces if you can. Not sure about setting it up for inside, but see if you can.

With the wheel spinning, very lightly pull the brake lever, or preferably have a helper pull the brake lever. Are there easy and hard spots in the wheel rotation? Can you feel a pulsing in the handle? Some rotors only warp when they heat up. Actually, a lot of them. If you can feel the pulsing, try removing one caliper and blocking the pads/piston with something like a board, piece of steel, etc., and repeat. Still pulsing? If not, you found the side causing problems. If yes, try the other side.

Dunno about the bearings. I suppose it would be possible. I'm leaning towards cheap aftermarket rotors right now.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:56 PM
patcham48
Cruiser

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to offer advice. Turned out that both sets of replacement rotors were warped!!!!
I managed to get hold of a set of s/h floating discs from a trusted source and the bike now FINALLY has a new MOT.
The pisser is the company that supplied the "new" discs have refused to refund my money because they say once they are fitted and "used" the problem must be a "fitment" issue.

Thanks again

Old 08-29-2014, 06:57 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by patcham48
Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to offer advice. Turned out that both sets of replacement rotors were warped!!!!
I managed to get hold of a set of s/h floating discs from a trusted source and the bike now FINALLY has a new MOT.
The pisser is the company that supplied the "new" discs have refused to refund my money because they say once they are fitted and "used" the problem must be a "fitment" issue.

Thanks again

Glad you got it fixed.

As for the company that provided the "new" discs I would put them on the never buy from again list as they sound like a fly by night kind of place!!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
It has to be the pad to rotor interface pushing in and out. Now, why would new rotors warp? Were they warped when you put them on? Take them off and check for trueness. Put them on, put the front wheel up in the air and spin it and check with a dial indicator. Take it for a ride, come back and check it. Are these Genuine H.D. rotors or cheap Chinese crap?
And that right there is why I buy Genuine H.D. parts whenever I can. There's good aftermarket stuff and there's a lot of crap aftermarket stuff, and I don't buy enough parts to know which are which, but a Genuine H.D. part will probably be OK.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pulsing brakes