EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Belt/Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Belt/Wheel Alignment

I installed a new tire on my 97 FLH, when I mounted it I adjusted the axle adjusters as they had been, ( I only loosened one when I removed axle).

I used a caliper to match the length of adjuster bolts sticking out of the back of the nut.

I notice today the belt is running up against the left side of pulley, I assume it should be centered.
So what needs to be adjusted to center it on the pulley, also how do you guys get yours properly aligned?

Thanks

Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

It is probably close enough but here is what I do. The belt will run to one side of the rear pulley when you turn the wheel forward, and the opposite side when you turn it backwards. What I do is line up the belt in the middle of the pulley when turning the wheel forward. If it is close it will not take much but you might have to move both adjusters to keep your belt tension where you want it.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:50 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
It is probably close enough but here is what I do. The belt will run to one side of the rear pulley when you turn the wheel forward, and the opposite side when you turn it backwards. What I do is line up the belt in the middle of the pulley when turning the wheel forward. If it is close it will not take much but you might have to move both adjusters to keep your belt tension where you want it.

Thanks, if I want the belt to move to the right, would I tighten the nut on the left side adjuster?

I realize the belt tension has to be taken into account, but leaving that out for the above question.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:10 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 850 Posts

You want the tire to track straight to the bike, I take a coat hanger and cut one end off past the bend to make a 90 degree bend with 1/2 inch length, cut the other end off before the bend so it is straight, use a small wire tie and attach it to the straight part of the hanger and the tie will slide. Pop the caps off the swingarm axle and the axle has centering holes from machining. You can hook the 90 degree end of the wire into the swingarm axle hole and measure your rear axle length and slide the wire tie cut off area into the hole in the rear axle hole, check the other side the same way.
With your wheel equal length to the swingarm and the belt keeps pushing hard to one side side of the rear pulley then you may have to move the pulley, can be simple or turn into a project but check the straightness before angling the axle, not tracking straight will affect it over tar snakes or wet to dry road conditions.
There is a complex why to measure the rear axle with string off the front wheel axle but the redneck way with the hanger has my belt in the center of the pulley and Jim Kraft is right about the belt moving, it walks in on the trans pulley when pushing the bike backwards