EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Adjustable pushrod

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:55 PM
gnafin
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adjustable pushrod

ok, i got a set of vthunder Adjustable push rods. and the sheet says to adjust 18 flats. and do it on the low spot on the cam.... does it have to be right on the low spot? or is this just so you don't hit the head with the valve... thanks..

Old 07-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

Do it on the low side of the cam. Use a straw in the sparkplug hole and turn the back wheel to get the piston to the top of the stroke which you can see when the straw is at its highest point. Then rock the wheel back and forth a little to make sure you are on the firing stroke and not the intake exhaust stroke. If you are on the firing stroke the pushrods will not move when you rock the wheel. It is best to have it in fourth or fifth gear for this. If the pushrods move you need to turn the engine one revolution to get it on the firing stroke where both valves on that cylinder will be closed.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:41 AM
gnafin
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did that. now the intake push Rod is very tight and the exhaust one is loos it bleed on overnight. Intake did not bleed down.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

You know I may take some flack for this but I like instant gratification so I disassembled the JIMS lifters and thoroughly cleaned them and put them back together and replaced them. Checked cam for clearance then adjusted pushrods to one exact flat past manufacturer's recommendation but as per cam manufacturer. Started her up and she awoke on first rpm. Never looked back.
Why bleed down overnight? I knw the only result would be to make me nervous and or 2nd guess. They (lifters) didn't bleed out the exact same rate. I would do what Jim K said but wait the fifteen minutes of afforded bleed down then hit the start button. You bend a pushrod? Drop a valve? Mash the crank, cam and pinion gears? You did something wrong. I cannot see how an overnight bleeding session would have prevented any disaster.

Now if I'm wrong please tell me but explain it too.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by gnafin
ok, i got a set of vthunder Adjustable push rods. and the sheet says to adjust 18 flats. and do it on the low spot on the cam.... does it have to be right on the low spot? or is this just so you don't hit the head with the valve... thanks..
for the last 100 years harley motors have been adjusted on the low side of the cam -- a fool proof way to find it is this --

i start with an intake as it is in the center turn the bike rear wheel in Hi gear w/ no sparkplugs till one of the intakes is at full lift < the other intake is at the low spot at that point < adjust that one - than do the same for the other -- same thing for the exhaust turn till one is at full lift adjust the other

been doing it this way since 1965 in a bike shop - solid and hyd lifters does not matter