1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

They have a good name but alot of Avon users here including myself

Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Dan.1977P
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those who do it yourselves, does balancing not matter? Do they manufacture motorcycle tires to a higher standard so that they are perfectly balanced?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I use DYNA beads to balance.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:26 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan.1977P
For those who do it yourselves, does balancing not matter? Do they manufacture motorcycle tires to a higher standard so that they are perfectly balanced?

I let my indi handle them.. A few reasons actually.. #1 They are very good at what they do.. #2 they are always available and willing to talk to me, I consider them to have become friends.. #3 Since I do 99.9% of my own work, I think the least I could do is to spend a little money there, even if its tires.. They are set up for it, have the tools and experience.. The extra money is just worth it to me.. I don't have to worry about hurting a bead, truing my spokes or pinching a tube...... I take em off and bring them to him to do whenever he can work it in, always same day or next.. Bike tires are just such a critical component, I feel better about it, not that I couldn't handle it, I trust them to do it right.. If you don't trust the guy doing your tires, by all means, do them yourself ,its your life..

As for balance. I think it all really depends on how you ride.. I had them do a last minute rear tire change for me when I first got the bagger. I decided not to have him balance it since we were after hrs.. Anyhow, at "normal" speeds, it felt like a good decision. But, being in Atlanta, I typically cruise at 80+ and felt it there.. So, lesson learned, off it came to balance.. Anyhow, yes they need to be balanced.. I have not tried the dyna beads, personally, but they are a great idea..

Old 07-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,816 Likes on 1,760 Posts

I have a never mounted, new Dunlop Rear Elite III MT90B16 for sale,
I won't be using since I upgraded my swingarm and using a wider tire now.
$75 + whatever shipping is.

Last edited by Schex; 07-28-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like my Metzler 880's on mine right now. But about a year after there was a scandal on bad manufacturing from one of their plants. Both sets I've had have been good though. The Elite 3's are "supposed" to be comparable. I always take the wheels to the shop. I buy the tire from them and they change it for free. As for balancing, the only time I've had weights on my wheels was from the previous owner and some old Dunlops. I hadn't needed any since.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:46 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,269 Posts

The day I paid $780 for 2 new tires to be put on plus have my wheel bearings serviced was the day I learned how to do all my own tires.

While I have the tire off the wheel I clean it real good and service the wheel bearings. Much easier to clean a wheel on a work bench than under the bike. Dyna beads make balancing a no brainer. They can be reused too.

Carl

Old 07-28-2014, 10:53 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never balance a rear tire anymore. all it takes is one good hole shot or lockup to throw it out of balance. the beads in the rear tire is the way to go. as far as the front it definitely needs balanced.

as far as tires I switched from Dunlop to avon a few years ago. and so far im impressed they handle great in wet weather. and last a little bit longer with my very aggressive riding style. I ride all my bikes like I stole them.

and here's something not a lot of ppl know tires have a balance mark on the sidewall its the lightest part of the tire and it lines up with the valve stem. if you use it you wont need as many weights to balance the wheel. also there's a dot on the tread for what is called the match point. ie radial run out Harley doesn't use this mark. but my ducati did.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

I run the OEM Dunlops on my 93 FLHS since day one.

After all these years, if I put a good tire on it, I'd have to learn how to ride it all over again.....

Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Hackd
I run the OEM Dunlops on my 93 FLHS since day one.

After all these years, if I put a good tire on it, I'd have to learn how to ride it all over again.....
Yes you would as the tires would have way less wobble on paint and tar snakes.

Quick Reply: What do you guys do about tires?