EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New to the board

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 PM
EGO82
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to the board

Well just wanted to say hello and intro myself. I just bought a 96 Road King FI with 42k on it. The bike was actually purchased 3 years ago by my father with 36k on it and then sold to my uncle last spring. In June my father passed away so I finally talked my uncle into selling the bike back to me. From what I have been able to find this bike has the Evo motor and not the 88 that he thought was in it. Part of him selling it was because he thought it was getting close to that mark where the 88s go out and cost a small fortune to repair.

Are there any things I should watch for on this motor? what options do I have to upgrade the power a little without killing it?

Old 07-27-2014, 03:18 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome, I'm sure someone will post with tips on that EVO, I have a 1995 EVO Standard Dresser stock with the exception of a single fire ignition, V&H True Duals with their Ovals, and a reworked carb.
Never a problem with the motor at all, I kept it stock.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:44 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

First get rid of the EFI as the MM EFI system used on EVO's was crap and a pain in the *** to fix when they went out. Although I am a big fan of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Your bike will be much happier with a carb.

TD should be along shortly with your welcome package!!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM
EGO82
Advanced

whats the issues with the EFI? that was one of the things about the bike I liked. Wasnt until I started browsing through here that I seen people telling them to ditch it.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:18 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Welcome.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:32 PM
factorybuilt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome from Minnesota.

If the EFI is working fine, don't screw with it. Signs of trouble will be flooding out, bad / rough idle, and surging. The fixes aren't cheap. This might be the time to go to a carb change out.

You didn't mention how many miles but, cam bearing and lifters may need attention.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:44 PM
EGO82
Advanced

Originally Posted by factorybuilt
Welcome from Minnesota.

If the EFI is working fine, don't screw with it. Signs of trouble will be flooding out, bad / rough idle, and surging. The fixes aren't cheap. This might be the time to go to a carb change out.

You didn't mention how many miles but, cam bearing and lifters may need attention.
It has just over 42k on it.... and funny you mention the surging, when I get to a light the engine light kicks on and the idle sometimes fluctuates. How much would I be looking at to go to carb or what is needed to fix the FI if that is? is there anyway to tell if this is the actual issue? can you pull codes from the engine light?

Old 07-27-2014, 05:55 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by EGO82
It has just over 42k on it.... and funny you mention the surging, when I get to a light the engine light kicks on and the idle sometimes fluctuates. How much would I be looking at to go to carb or what is needed to fix the FI if that is? is there anyway to tell if this is the actual issue? can you pull codes from the engine light?
It would be a good idea to go ahead and change the cam bearing and lifters.
I'm not sure if the book tells you to but a couple of members here have had trouble (cam bearing going out) at just over 40k.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 PM
factorybuilt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EGO82
Mine did the same thing. Once the engine light comes on, you will need to have it fixed.

I liked the EFI idea so I had mine fixed. It was the temp sensor. It was just about $400.

Others are big fans of the carb and can give you a better idea on the cost of the swap.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Welcome! Nice ya got your dad's bike back home! If you're happy with the bike the way it is, then get the EFI fixed. If you want to 'make it yours', then dump it for a carb. And while you have your credit card out: Cam, Air Cleaner, Exhaust for starters....

Quick Reply: New to the board