EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Sheared Motor Mount bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:09 PM
johnod
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
What about the swing arm pivots? Did you ever inspect or replace them? You have something out of whack here, and it isn't the motor mount bolts not being strong enough.

I believe some work was done and some parts replaced before I got it.

How does that effect the front mount?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:26 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,153 Posts

I have followed this cause it seems to be an Off the Wall situation.
While I'm no expert on these motor mounts, is it possible that the bolts are getting loose and shearing of with the looseness. This crosses my my mind because of dealing with sheared bolts on older GM A/C compressors and P/ steering pumps.

Just a thought WP

Old 09-15-2014, 07:32 PM
johnod
Road Master

Originally Posted by WP50
I have followed this cause it seems to be an Off the Wall situation.
While I'm no expert on these motor mounts, is it possible that the bolts are getting loose and shearing of with the looseness. This crosses my my mind because of dealing with sheared bolts on older GM A/C compressors and P/ steering pumps.

Just a thought WP

I used nylocks.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

The whole power train is one unit on our bikes. Engine, transmission and swingarm. So, motor mount wise, there's the top one, the front one, and the swingarm, if I'm not mistaken that connect the power train to the frame. And, your revelation that someone has been into the swingarm mounts makes that even more suspect. If there's something major out of alignment or the rubber compound is totally off or something, that could put a lot more shear force on the front mount, I would think.

Somewhere up in this thread, I believe it was suggested to replace the motor mounts. If you have already done that, then the swingarm mounts are the only thing left.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 PM
johnod
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
The whole power train is one unit on our bikes. Engine, transmission and swingarm. So, motor mount wise, there's the top one, the front one, and the swingarm, if I'm not mistaken that connect the power train to the frame. And, your revelation that someone has been into the swingarm mounts makes that even more suspect. If there's something major out of alignment or the rubber compound is totally off or something, that could put a lot more shear force on the front mount, I would think.

Somewhere up in this thread, I believe it was suggested to replace the motor mounts. If you have already done that, then the swingarm mounts are the only thing left.

I pulled the front mount this evening, I believe it's an aftermarket item,( doesn't look like pics of oem that I've seen) and appears like new.

The stabilizer link might be bad, but I'm not sure what a good one is like.
One end the rubber and inner sleeve rotate, and the other end does not.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Old-Evo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnod
Thought I'd update.

Checked today and one of the grade 9 bolts is sheared, flush with the bottom of the mounting plate, ( not the case itself).

That's a made in USA grade nine bolt.
Thanks for the update. Do you know if the bolt under your oil filter is loose?
I have found that if that bolt loosen up then the other one shears. So I check that one often.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 PM
johnod
Road Master

Originally Posted by Old-Evo
Thanks for the update. Do you know if the bolt under your oil filter is loose?
I have found that if that bolt loosen up then the other one shears. So I check that one often.

Under filter bolt snapped, other bolt still tight.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:27 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Look at what jonjzjz and Dr Hess have posted. I too would suggest that vehicle alignment is a serious concern. Looking for a different, harder bolt is a temporary fix and only masking a more serious issue.

Alignment issues are listed as either rear wheel, horizontal and vertical misalignment. The shop manual describes ways to address all three.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:22 PM
johnod
Road Master

Today I did the alignment, which was out a good bit.

I also found the front motor mount plate was not flat where it bolts to the cases, far from flat.
I figured that can't be good so I replaced that with an older cast model which was nice and flat, we'll see if it all helps.

Are those plates typically not flat at the mounting surface?

Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 AM
nyokie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

talking about 47159-79A the front engine bracket? the tab that goes from motor mount and motor? It should be flat, pretty bizarre if that was bent, wrecked maybe?

Quick Reply: Sheared Motor Mount bolts