EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1990 fxr oil out of crankcase breather and oil in tank smells like gas.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 PM
agove
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1990 fxr oil out of crankcase breather and oil in tank smells like gas.

So oil comes out of the crankcase breather. I haven't had a chance to ride it much since I got it. I know that they tend to do that of they sit a while and oil gets in the case so I'm hoping that will clear itself up when the weather finally breaks around here. Second, I pulled the dipstick out to see how much oil was in it and it smells like gas. I'm going to change it tomorrow to a cheap oil to flush it out then change it again with a new filter after 100 miles or so just to flush it all out. Anyone have any ideas of what either could be?

Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Fuel is leaking past your petcock into your crankcase.

If your petcock was in the off position you will need to replace/rebuild it.
If it was in the on position start putting it in the off position every time you shut off your bike.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,196 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Fuel is leaking past your petcock into your crankcase.

If your petcock was in the off position you will need to replace/rebuild it.
If it was in the on position start putting it in the off position every time you shut off your bike.

Unless you needle and seat are bad in the carb, the petcock being on or leaking would not get gas in the oil...if the needle and seat were bad, gas would leak out on the ground though the overflow tube...so unless you have a bad petcock AND a bad needle and seat AND a clogged overflow tube, that is probably not the case. Since you haven't ridden it much, it could "smell" like gas just from the cranking it with the choke and not actually riding it.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:39 AM
agove
Road Captain

You think the oil could smell like fuel from starting it with the choke on? I've started it 4 times and used the choke every time but only rode it home from the dealer, then around the block 3 times to get the right handlebar position.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Someone probably let it sit with the petcock on. Just change it with something cheap, and just ride it around for 20-50 miles and see if you can replicate the smell.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:39 PM
agove
Road Captain

While the oil tank is drained I looked at the ball in the check valve. The ball looks fine, so I made sure all of the tubes from the oil tank weren't blocked, which they weren't. The oil return spit out oil when I turned it over and I blew through the fitting for the oil feed and it was fine. Only other thing I can think of is pulling the cam cover off and looking at the gear to see if it looks okay. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Also I made sure the filter on the bike was an evo filter and it is.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Me and TJ (throttle jockey) were discussing this not too long ago in person and in my thread. It would make sense that if you were using a restrictive filter, on a bottom breather bike it would make it wet sump like that, and on a head breather, it would find somewhere else to spit it out. Is the filter an HD filter? If it is get rid of that **** and put on a WIX 51215 or some other 15-30 micron filter that fits, and has a relief valve opening pressure of 8-11psi.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 PM
agove
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Me and TJ (throttle jockey) were discussing this not too long ago in person and in my thread. It would make sense that if you were using a restrictive filter, on a bottom breather bike it would make it wet sump like that, and on a head breather, it would find somewhere else to spit it out. Is the filter an HD filter? If it is get rid of that **** and put on a WIX 51215 or some other 15-30 micron filter that fits, and has a relief valve opening pressure of 8-11psi.
Where can I find one of these filters? I'm going to put everything back together tomorrow and put oil back in it, ride it for 50 or so miles then change it again to get the fuel smell out.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by agove
Where can I find one of these filters? I'm going to put everything back together tomorrow and put oil back in it, ride it for 50 or so miles then change it again to get the fuel smell out.
Autoparts store. Check your PM's.

Run something cheap for that 50 miles, like Rotella, Delo, or some house brand 40-50w oil. No need to put expensive stuff in it if you're going to lose it after 50 miles.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:44 PM
Jholth
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update years later?

This is literally happening to me right now. Bought the bike from the original owner of an 84. Sat since 07 oil full of gas, starts right up, but had oil spill from case breather. Thought it was running super rich since I’ve been starting and letting it run, gas keeps showing up after dumping oil a few times. Carb stock jets, re-built.. float goes dry overnight (not on floor) like it draining into the motor

Quick Reply: 1990 fxr oil out of crankcase breather and oil in tank smells like gas.