EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dad's Evo Electraglide

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 AM
Tackdriver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dad's Evo Electraglide

Well I got back from Dad's farm, and I did manage to get Dad's 95 Electraglide to start. There was another thread about how to go about doing this. Here is how it went. I went to Walmart and got a new battery. While this one was charging, I looked at the rear tire. Front tire was still up after all this time. The rear was totally flat and I thought it was a goner. So me and my wife aired it up with a hand pump, and lo and behold, it held. So after I put in a new battery I tried to start it. It ran when I put gas in the carb, but then it would stall. So I pulled the combination petcock, filter, and fuel pump. The filter was ripped, and distorted. So I replaced the whole thing with a new one, and had the carb rebuilt. Putting the carb on was no fun, the cables were just long enough, not a inch more. So I got it in, filled it with new gas and Seafoam.
Now earlier in the day a guy at HD had given me a sequence that usually starts Evos. This bike needs warming up, that is just the way it is accroding to the guy at HD. So I ran though the procedure, and to my amazement, it fired up. So I let it warm up and took it for a 8 mile spin, along a country road and back road. That sure was fun. I only took it a ways because I did not want to shut the engine off anyplace but Dad's farm. But once I got it home I had to stop it and start it to do other things to it. It has earned my trust now. One of the speaker grilles flew off and into a corn field so I am going to have to hunt up another. Then I got in home and washed it.

When I go back I do have some troubleshooting to do. The oil pressure gauge does not work. The radio clock comes on, but it does not play. This might mean I have to read his owners manual. Speaker switch is on. I have to hook up the cruise control cable, I left it unhooked because I ran out of clips. Not so easy to get those on. I want to take it to HD and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb.

It sure is a different bike. It feels a little more compact than the Electraglides of today. The seat and bars force me into a correct back-straight riding position. The windshield is a lot flatter than the Electraglides I have ridden. And the dash is different too. It reminds me of a car dash, the gauges and lights are all in one unit, not the seperated gauges we have today.

I also got a Dodge Ram started, and a lawn tractor. My wife loved the lawn tractor. She played with it all weekend. And we started a push mower. The only thing we failed at was a chainsaw. This is your normal 69 dollar chainsaw, and it is a goner.

Dad will never ride this again, but it sure lifted his sprits seeing it and hearing it run.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:52 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Speaker grilles disappearing were a common problem on these earlier dressers. They don't snap on with much authority. The radios were also very problematic, especially on into the 96 and 97 years. They weren't built to take the vibration or the moisture. I have repaired a few by simply pulling them out and re-soldering apparent bad joints in the circuit board. If you plan on getting another one (if you can find an exact replacement) get ready to be raped by the dealer. A better shot would be to try and find a replacement off e-bay or some like place. The last time I heard of anybody having a dealer ship one off for repairs, it was close to a $500 affair.

Enjoy!

Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear that you were successful! No doubt that there will be plenty of little things that will need some attention in order for it to be fully road worthy and dependable but assuming you're in no rush it will be fun to tinker with! I'd reconsider having H-D go over it though, at their labor rates you might spend half of what it's worth!!! FWIW, I put a decent Sony in my '94 and it makes an **** out of the HK in my '11. If you use the Biketronics kit, it will plug right in and your handlebar controls will still work!

Old 08-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,517 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Congratulations. Check the tire dates. It is recommended to change them over 6 years, but I would definitely if they're over 10 years.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Old 08-08-2014, 07:42 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I am also replacing the speaker grills on my 1991. I ordered them directly from Ronnies site. Here's a link for ya.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

I was also concerned about how they attach to the inner fender so I also got me some 3M black adhesive sealant to put around the edges.

Amazon.com: Permatex 81850 Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, 5 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 81850 Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, 5 oz.: Automotive

And I wasn't planning on biting the bullet so soon but I just ordered a full audio package from Biketronics. And yes it's a $500 adventure, good luck!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Sounds like a very rewarding experience for both you and your dad. As Ron750 pointed out, don't trust those tires past six or seven years, especially the rear that was flat. A flat tire that has been sitting for a day or two is no big deal but, one that hasn't moved in a while and has had all of that weight on it could compromise the sidewalls. Keep plugging away at it and you'll have a great machine and great memories.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

wow, some cool toys on that farm - sounds like a success story to me ....Thank your dad for the gifts that don't stop coming

Old 08-08-2014, 01:43 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Your 95 is like my 94 in the frame and controls and fairing. Be glad it wasn't an earlier one as the right bag had the battery area there and you lost a lot of area for storage.

These are simple beasts and will run forever with a little help and love. Youi may have to go to an indy shop for someone to go over it for you as some dealers don't work on them that old. Prices may be better too.. Ask anything you can think of as there are lots of folks riding older iron..

Hell, my 94 is my new bike..LOL..

Griz

Old 08-08-2014, 06:34 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice to hear another family bike has been resurected again.
I would have shot a few squirts of oil into the plug holes before starting her myself but ...
Regarding the tunes " issue " ? I am an old car stereo installer from way back and i still advise bikers that you go with a couple of ear buds and a MP3 instead of spending lots of cash on refurbishing a stereo and speaker system on a bike that results in everyone else hearing your tunes except you !

Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,724 Likes on 1,172 Posts

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ

Hell, my 94 is my new bike..LOL..

Griz
LOL so is my 97 Just saying hello Good to see ya WP

David in Midland

Quick Reply: Dad's Evo Electraglide