EVO All Evo Model Discussion

speedo ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:20 AM
pc100
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedo ???

bought a 98 fatboy anniversary model total stock , the speedo is working but the milage is not readable except for the last two digits , is there a fix for this or a part number so i can look on fleabay to try an replace need to be able to keep up with for oil changes etc

Old 08-18-2014, 08:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You can find the part numbers for everything in your bike on one of the on-line parts websites, like this one. I'm also pretty certain there is somewhere you can get your speedo repaired, but hopefully someone else will chip in with that.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

How do you know how many miles are on the bike/engine..??

Here is a replacement and I know there are places who will rebuild yours and make the milage right... "google"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drag-Special...b53266&vxp=mtr

Ds.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by pc100
bought a 98 fatboy anniversary model total stock , the speedo is working but the milage is not readable except for the last two digits , is there a fix for this or a part number so i can look on fleabay to try an replace need to be able to keep up with for oil changes etc

Traildog had this problem a while back.
He cleaned the pick up in the tranny and all is good now.
Just unbolt the pickup and clean it then bolt it back down.

I hope this works for you

Old 08-18-2014, 10:44 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Check part number first.
You can remove the center console rather easily and flip to see sticker on bottom of speedo.
Note: in 1998 several of the gas tank speedometers from softails and road kings had LCD odometer bleed. The numbers get blacked out due to bleed out...The new speedometers are different..The old ones are NOT plug and play..To use a newer one you need an adapter for the wires..There are about 12 wire splices required plus that adapter...The manufacturer of speedometers changed during that time so repair parts will be next to impossible to locate..Some folks have been able to find a unit from the same exact year that had a clean odometer screen and were able to change just the screen with a few hours of precise delicate work..The newer and oler units are different internally. Also the mileage is retained within the speedometer itself so if you change speedometers the mileage will NOT transfer. If you decide to order a new compatible speedometer from an online HD dealer then the dealer can program the miles into the unit before delivery. You will need the adapter and consider using some posi-lock adpaters to make installation of wires easier if you go with the available replacement unit....if you decide on looking at ebay for an identical speedo you will notice that almost everyone displayed is the newer kind without wire harness tail built-in..The newer ones just have a plu thing. If you buy a used or even new speedometer the the mileage will read whatever is in the unit.Some speedo shops can add mileage to the unit but the labor cost might not make it worth the trouble as compared to new...Note : Caution that when you see units for sale on EBAY with the built-in wire harness from that era they rarely show the LCD screen

Last edited by im; 08-18-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:04 AM
pc100
Advanced

I dont know how many miles are on it it appears very very low for for $5500 i could not pass it up runs , looks an sounds like it should very pretty color scheme that year 1800 of 3000 made.I put a mustang seat to save the stock anniv seat thats the sad part about it ,is i hate to modify it because of the history looks like harley put ever crome thing they had available on it bottom line to me 1 mile or 50000 it has a carb an a evo motor it dont get no better than that.I would not trade it for a brand new fatboy if offered one LOL they even put the fat boy on a diet a SLIM WTF. Thanks for all the great info I learned alot .Think after hearing all this ill just leave it alone an try an find some way just to log miles maybe a bicycle speedo a friend suggested that .Said they have them nowdays that will do that

Last edited by pc100; 08-18-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:15 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by pc100
I dont know how many miles are on it it appears very very low for for $5500 i could not pass it up runs , looks an sounds like it should very pretty color scheme that year 1800 of 3000 made.I put a mustang seat to save the stock anniv seat thats the sad part about it ,is i hate to modify it because of the history looks like harley put ever crome thing they had available on it bottom line to me 1 mile or 50000 it has a carb an a evo motor it dont get no better than that.I would not trade it for a brand new fatboy if offered one LOL they even put the fat boy on a diet a SLIM WTF. Thanks for all the great info I learned alot .Think after hearing all this ill just leave it alone an try an find some way just to log miles maybe a bicycle speedo a friend suggested that .Said they have them nowdays that will do that
If you like the stock seat...use it....if you want to modify something simple then do it...why save the bike for somebody else? I can understand keeping it nice but make sure to enjoy it...

Old 08-20-2014, 06:21 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 699 Likes on 351 Posts

Dang, I thought this was a thread to post pics of yourself in a SPEEEDO.........I have a couple of hunk a doodle do ...........bwaaaaaaaaa.........

Old 08-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,754 Likes on 1,082 Posts

A GPS will record mileage.

Also see if the speedometer has a "trip" feature, Maybe it works.

The broken part is called an "odometer".

Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 PM
pc100
Advanced

yep for sure i should of used odometer now i got Traildog wanting to see me in a damn speedo LOL

Quick Reply: speedo ???