Trans leak advice/??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Trans leak advice/??

Hi,

My trans started leaking its Redline all of a sudden, please see attached pic. The pully and belt are completely dry but it's running down the back of the inner primary while just sitting on the jiffy stand, looks like a primary leak but deffinately trans oil. Which one of the seals could cause it to leak there? I know to change everything but want to make sure of the one causeing the issue.

I've never been in the back side of a primary so any advice as to special tools, what type/brand of seals and tips will be appreciated... I think since it's a 94 I have the new style pully...

And, a particular question,,,, This started really soon after I spaced out the rear pulley for a slightly larger tire.. any chance that caused this by shifting the belt on the front pulley or something? and why?

Thanks
Doug

Attached Thumbnails Trans leak advice/??-trans-leak.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 07:55 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine was leaking the same way... me and Throttle Jockey replaced every god damn gasket and seal in the primary side and it still leaks like that... make sure nothing is cracked when you get in there. The high gear race was eat up on mine as well.

I'm just going to deal with it now. Leaks don't stop it from working.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

That's what you get for running Pepto-Bismol in your transmission.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

one - water is also in the gear box with the red line

two - the inner primary bearing has a race and that race can and does move after many miles, and when it does it moves IN and makes contact with the small seal in the end of 5th gear, causing a leak - you also have a 5th gear main nut that come loose and that can cause a leak -

remove the primary inner and outer and see whats up

Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Most likely the nut that holds the drive pulley to the output shaft has loosened up. It doesn't take much to create a leak, as the only thing that holds the seal in place is the pulley. Even though you've got the later style pulley, they do loosen up. Mine loosened up a few years after it had been upgraded. It really isn't the best design The MoCo could have come up with. If mine ever loosens up again, I'll be spending the big $$$ and installing a Jims setup.

It's a couple hour job, made easier with air tools and a lift....

Old 08-21-2014, 06:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The guilty party is the seal behind the pulley, in the trans casing, with the caveats already mentioned. Mine did it for years before I got around to fixing it, although it didn't mess up the bike, just left drips.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quad seal is 99% of the time guilty for a trans leak while on the kick stand.
When you replace a quad seal and it is time to re torque the pulley nut, take extra care not to let it turn. Learned this the hard way and tore a new seal. I also like to put o-ring grease on them aswell.

On Tmans bike the only one we didn't replace was high gear mainshaft seal. You win some you lose some. I'm with GR though had one leaking for a couple years due to laziness and not wanting to be without a ride.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, I'm trying to line up the puller and deep socket befor I yank it apart, if not locally then I'll have to buy on ebay.

I do not understand how it can leak there and not get all over the pully first, it is dry as a bone and the trans is also dry... That and it started leaking all of a sudden, no weeping first or anything, I check for leaks often...

Any preference on brand of seals or anything else I should be doing while it's apart..gonna do everything on the primary side as well..

Doug