EVO All Evo Model Discussion

It's big inch EVO time

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts
Default It's big inch EVO time

Just wanted to get ideas Looking to build a big EVO THIS winter. Doesn't have to be biggest. But now I have a newer tourer I can build a hot rod out of this bike Looking around I see the stock cases don't look like a good idea for over 100 inches. Want 110-120 or? Might just put a blower or turbo on it(not much of a turbo guy) Question. Not going to go over 10 k .....build lots of motors but only rebuild the harley stuff. Give me your thoughts on the stuff u have built. Bad and good

Old 08-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

An S&S 124 will run you over $10,000. The motor is just the beginning. You still need to beef up the tranny, the clutch, miscellaneous hardware and fluids. Graham will tell you to chat up Scott from Hillside and I agree with this. You're from that area anyway. Then again John jz is close to you too...
Man, I just love spending other people s cash!
Tom

Old 08-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,544 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Stock cases? I like 89" stroker kits with flowed heads and appropriate cam. I've run hopped up Evos (10:1, flowed heads, and cams,) and got 80 HP, but the added stroker's torque was so much fun... Over 100" though I'd go aftermarket all the way. Since you can wrench on 'em, pieces/parting the components might help you keep the build within budget because as was said, the big motor is just the beginning.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,679 Likes on 850 Posts

The 89" is the catsazz for a all around engine in a touring bike for the coin, set up like Stiggy is talking, heads, compression and a matching cam can do anything you desire on a big bike "except a wheelie'.

Just came back from the Smokeys and the hot rod 127" got the job done in a touring condition and a plain out blast when the open road comes in BUT it needs alot of fuel to feed it and was saved by my 1 gallon saddle bag gas can on the way back to from being deep into areas with no fuel. The big engines sound is music to a Harley riders ears but after 6 hours, the deep free flowing exhaust becomes annoying that is needed to let these monsters breathe. Going to tone down the baffle and lose some top side power but needs the decibles brought down for longer rides.

My vote is the stock Harley cased 89", ran one for a long time or spend the coin for something in the 113" range if you want cubes, if you want to shake walls at watering holes and everyone saying WTF size engine is that, accellerating that makes your eyes water then go big but has some baggage.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Fuel milage is of no concern at all. Most times it will be ridin solo Don't do the bar hopper sene or for that matter mostly ride alone. Lol 250-300 miles will be a big trip for it now I have a new one .Just a hot rod freak. Just want this one for when momma ain't around. Almost 60 and no more oval track racin for this ole bas ard Just want a tire ripper running on a bit of left over racin fuel from week before But it will be a platform that gets changed all the time. Guess I should just start with the best bottom end I can afford

Old 08-24-2014, 09:42 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 2,871 Posts

in my shop we build the 89 inch as a motor to have with the same reliability as a stock motor - if you are doing nothing one day i have as a day rider FLST dynos at 90 /90 its an 89 inch come and take it for a spin - i am one hour from the GWB with out traffic exit 25 rt 80 at rt 206 in NW jersey

i have customers with 75,000 miles and its never been apart cept rubber top gaskets

the cam we have used for 20 years has been discontinued so we have to one made the only thing we cant get in a week

Old 08-25-2014, 12:16 AM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I built a really hoped up 80" with over 100 hp but its not reliable. the motor I built 3 years ago for my brothers ultra classic was a 103' delkron cases S&S cylinders, heads, crank. wiseco pistons wood w-9F cam 11.4:1 comp baker dd 6speed and after 3 years of beating on it and 40000 miles it will still pull the front tire off the ground in 3rd gear

Old 08-25-2014, 03:53 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

So is a late '90s EVO case a good candidate for an '89" stroker motor, or do you need to go aftermarket?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Tee⋁13135159
An S&S 124 will run you over $10,000. The motor is just the beginning. You still need to beef up the tranny, the clutch, miscellaneous hardware and fluids. Graham will tell you to chat up Scott from Hillside and I agree with this. You're from that area anyway. Then again John jz is close to you too...
Man, I just love spending other people s cash!
Tom
Tom, it's a great hobby - my what fun we can have in here!

Here is a recent thread on bigger Evos, with the two by Scott of Hillside worth reading. He indicates a 97" is easily doable. IMHO any more requires a new engine. Bigger inches will also require a beefed up clutch and in my case I replaced all the rubber mounts, replaced compensator and primary chain, also installed a True-Track rear stabiliser.

I bought my own 1990 bike new, at a time when 'stage 1' meant nothing to me. I soon learned, so went through stage 1 mods, cam change, then an 89" stroker, before deciding I really needed more. I was keen to buy an S&S 124", but was persuaded against it as I was told they didn't make a good bagger engine, so made do with a 107". Living overseas I wouldn't consider any other brand, as S&S are the only firm with a proper warranty system over here in the UK. Having said that I haven't had any need of it!

S&S now makes a low CR version 124" with my 585 cam and if I was doing it today that is the engine I would chose. I believe they only list it at present as a twincam, but it must be possible to have an Evo version. They also make other versions of the 124" to suit other markets, such as German TuV, California State etc and it would be interesting to know how those engines run, as alternatives to the stock 640 cam engine. The TuV engine comes with 9.5:1 CR, which I reckon would go well with a 585 cam.

The one revelation to me has been the difference my SuperTrapp exhaust has been. The improved low/mid range torque, plus much smoother running (than my previous TDs) have transformed this bike - well worth considering!

Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
So is a late '90s EVO case a good candidate for an '89" stroker motor, or do you need to go aftermarket?
There is plenty of them on the road today.

Quick Reply: It's big inch EVO time