EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Truck Lite or JW Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Tried it out last night. Even though I did not mess with the adjustments, the new headlight is aimed way too high. I tried to pull the frenched trim ring off last night but couldn't. I will try some more today.

I think I know why I might be having so much trouble. My frenched trim ring is 69626-99. It has a single screw that goes from front to back and replaces the stock trim ring. I noticed they also sell 69627-99. which has a screw and nut that goes left to right which means the ring is actually split whereas mine is not.

That being said, if I end up damaging it while trying to take it off, I will go with 69627-99 instead.

Last edited by Prot; 09-11-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Prot
Club Member

Well I learned that the headlight adjustment is not where I thought it was after going through my service manual. I believe I have the adjustment right. I still need to get this trim ring off to install those rubbers or figure out something to stop the rattling.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Prot
Club Member

Couldn't try it out tonight because the rear brake caliper locked up on me this afternoon and the brake pedal had no resistance to it.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:00 PM
Prot
Club Member

I didn't get a chance to take any pictures but I have had excellent results since adjusting the aim.. The 4 1/2" truck lite auxiliary lights do a nice job of filling in, especially right in front of the bike and they augment the side illumination which is already excellent from the main headlight. Bang for the buck, this setup is hard to beat. The JW speakers may be better, but the improvement over the truck Lites could not possibly be enough to justify the huge price difference. The only negative has been that in the daytime, it is hard to tell if the main headlight is on when viewed at certain angles. In order to counteract this potential safety concern, I run with all the lights on in the hopes the auxiliaries might be seen when the main headlight cannot. They draw substantially less current, which is a plus if you are trying to start your bike and the battery is weak. It also frees up some current if you need to power other accessories without overloading the electrical system.

I did not go with the illuminated trim rings. I find they look girlie.

Last edited by Prot; 09-21-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:55 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey Prot, I use my high beam during daylight hours. No problem being seen at all with the high beam on. Me and a bud were one mile apart on a long desert road, just to see if we could see each others headlamps on a bright sunny day, both with truck-lites on high beam. We could easily see each other bright & clear. I just bought one for my FXR as well. Outstanding lights!

Old 09-21-2014, 11:28 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bought the TL for my Electraglide last summer, but finally installed it yesterday. Got lucky, didn't have to change any of the aiming. Got the frenched trim off eBay at the same time. Only thing I'd do different would be to get the ring in black instead of chrome

Old 10-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Prot
Club Member

Here are a few pictures in the alley behind my house which is illuminated with security lights.

The headlight and auxillary lights are truck Lites. The turn signals, brake/tail lights, and fender tips are custom dynamics led boards. These are just cell phone pictures.

Last edited by Prot; 04-20-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

I can't get over the fender tip lights. They're bright.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by Tee&Vee
I can't get over the fender tip lights. They're bright.
They sure are, especially the rear. Now also keep in mind a cell phone does not photograph bright lights in the dark very well hence the extra glowing effect. But yes, they are bright but not so much so that they burn your retinas. The led's are Amber on the front and turn signals and red on the rear fender and brake turn signal. I could have went with clear lenses but I don't like that look. I also could probably have found clear led's. My objective was to get better and brighter lighting without spoiling the classic styling, so I used the original lenses and appropriate colored led's since they are so bright. After replacing the rear shocks recently I had to readjust the headlight aim as I found out last night when it looked as if it was pointing down right in front of me and could not see where I was going. I got that adjusted today pretty quick since I have that procedure down pat.

Also I don't have a picture of the brake light on. When I squeeze or press the brakes I can see the area behind me glow red. I guess I need to get a rope or something to demonstrate this since I don't have anybody to hold it while I take the picture. It's brighter than the fender tips.

Last edited by Prot; 10-17-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:45 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought a 2nd Trucklite for the Shovelhead this week.

Quick Reply: Truck Lite or JW Speaker