EVO All Evo Model Discussion

98 Road King Fuel Injected Choking Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 PM
lopri1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Road King Fuel Injected Choking Out

I have a 98 road king and has always run good until recently...runs fine at start up...drive down the road about 3 or 4 miles and it acts almost like its running out of gas or "choking out"...when you try to roll into the throttle the engine just wants to die...let up and it returns to idle...other symptoms include idle will go up very high, black smoke from the exhaust. . The check engine light is not coming on and I think it works. After this initially happens then the bike returns to normal and it runs ok for a while. ??

I saw a post a that there were similar post like this years back but I never did see a result or what the actual problem is / was. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Sounds like Engine Temp Sensor, about $100, located in middle of front head. Common.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:39 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,631 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Sounds like Engine Temp Sensor, about $100, located in middle of front head. Common.
Beemervet is all over it!

Old 08-27-2014, 12:50 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Beemervet is all over it!

Old 08-27-2014, 05:18 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like the same effect that will result from a defective temp. sensor on a TC as well....yep...I'd change the head temp. sensor. On the TC, it was real handy located in a lateral position on the left side. The EVO.....got to remove the tank I suppose and that will be the hardest part.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:59 PM
lopri1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I will try. Thank you very much

Old 08-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have personal experience with what you describe in two instances. I helped a friend trike a 99 EFI some years ago and in the process of adding a frame backbone support, we managed to crush the temp. sensor leads under a washer. It would crank, but ran way too rich until it warmed up and would eventually straighten itself out, but it did this every time you cranked it cold. Of course, we found that problem. On another occasion, I had a friend call me describing similar symptoms...it would smooth out once the bike warmed-up. He took his to a dealer and they replaced the head temp. sensor.

Now...I just happen to own a 98 RK EFI and I went and looked. It may be possible to remove the sensor from the front head by only lifting the tank as opposed to totally removing it, or maybe even reachable with the right socket. There is a connector plainly visible in the top of the front rocker-box opening where that sensor is installed. That's what your looking for.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0734
It may be possible to remove the sensor from the front head by only lifting the tank as opposed to totally removing it, or maybe even reachable with the right socket. There is a connector plainly visible in the top of the front rocker-box opening where that sensor is installed. That's what your looking for.
Correct

Old 08-28-2014, 06:57 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,188 Likes on 1,265 Posts

DON"T remove the tank! Ain't necessary.

My 98 RKC eats these stupid things like candy. I get about 20k on one then it goes bad. I keep a spare in the shop for just this instance. The fault code is 14. Probably stored.

Remove the 3 tank bolts. Push the tank forward a little and lift the crossover tube up and over the coil. Now push the tank back and lift it up a ways and stuff something under it to hold it up. Get a flashlight and real small mirror down where the sensor is and see how to pry the clip away so you can pull the connector off. A small screwdriver will do it. It's just like any of the ones you have in your car. Pull the connector off and drop a deep well socket down in there. Put your ratchet on the socket just enough to loosen the sensor. It's gonna be a little tight to work in this area so you will have to remove your ratchet and spin the sensor out by hand with the socket on it. Pretty easy, actually. Installation is just as easy.

Carl

Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Kozmo
Road Master

Received 325 Likes on 197 Posts

TTT-
I am having similar issue. Bike cutting out on me. idle seems fine and no smoke. Is there a test for temp sensor?
Looking for an update. '96 King
Thanks

Last edited by Kozmo; 09-06-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Bike

Quick Reply: 98 Road King Fuel Injected Choking Out