EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another ignorant question by someone trying to learn...VOES

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

My Glide ran like a pig when my vacuum hose, linked to the VOES, split, so I don't believe this talk of our bikes being fine without one. The stock ignition system, plus the aftermarket one I ran for many years, were both designed expressly to use one. The VOES itself is a small plastic device fastened to the rear of the horn mount, with two wires going to it. If your bike is running fine without one then it probably has an aftermarket ignition system.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:31 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AAAC
Isn't true that if your stock carb has been replaced, someone has most likely done away with the VOES? If my bike had the VOES, wouldn't there be a vacuum line hooked up to the back rear side of my Mikuni carb? That vacuum line nipple is capped off. I'm 95% sure I do not have a VOES, but this mechanic was telling me over the phone that I do b/c it's electronic. This all plays in to how the bike should be tuned...and if he thinks I have one and I don't, he obviously doesn't have it tuned right. Thanks!
You have an aftermarket ignition and it may handle the timing retard without a need for VOES but I'd post your bikes stats and have someone give you a baseline set up for your ignition curve and carb and then go from there. If the previous owner simply capped the voes line without grounding the voes wires your bike will always run like crap because it will always be off and retarded. The vacuum line is what pulls VOES shut, grounding the wire and advancing your ignition. So unplugged VOES is not the right way. Grounding would be if you want to bypass it.

Simple test on your ignition harness you can check continuity at the tan/white wire in your harness to ground. If you have it it's grounded. Or you could just run a jumper wire from that wire to the ground. Pin 6 and 8 I believe and see how it runs. Timing might be too far advanced then

Last edited by br549A1; 08-29-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:03 AM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
My Glide ran like a pig when my vacuum hose, linked to the VOES, split, so I don't believe this talk of our bikes being fine without one. The stock ignition system, plus the aftermarket one I ran for many years, were both designed expressly to use one. The VOES itself is a small plastic device fastened to the rear of the horn mount, with two wires going to it. If your bike is running fine without one then it probably has an aftermarket ignition system.
It has a Fireball Crane Hi-4 IM.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

AAAC, read my post and rule VOES out before you do anything else.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:50 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
You have an aftermarket ignition and it may handle the timing retard without a need for VOES but I'd post your bikes stats and have someone give you a baseline set up for your ignition curve and carb and then go from there. If the previous owner simply capped the voes line without grounding the voes wires your bike will always run like crap because it will always be off and retarded. The vacuum line is what pulls VOES shut, grounding the wire and advancing your ignition. So unplugged VOES is not the right way. Grounding would be if you want to bypass it.

Simple test on your ignition harness you can check continuity at the tan/white wire in your harness to ground. If you have it it's grounded. Or you could just run a jumper wire from that wire to the ground. Pin 6 and 8 I believe and see how it runs. Timing might be too far advanced then

the hi-4 goes full adv. at 1500 rpm with the voes wire grounded if you ground it all the time it will ping its to much advance when there's a load do not ground it unless your timing it

Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Unless you have a aftermarket ignition you need the VOES...

Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

D, his vac line is capped off so if his VOES isn't grounded now I think he needs to reconnect the voes vac line before doing anything.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:16 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
D, his vac line is capped off so if his VOES isn't grounded now I think he needs to reconnect the voes vac line before doing anything.

he has an aftermarket ign. the crane hi-4 works better without a voes it has 8 curves to choose from and one programmable if you ground the voes it can only have one full advance at 1500

Old 08-29-2014, 03:43 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Got it. Bad advice then! Sorry guy thought it still had to be plugged in or bypassed to use the ignition

Old 08-29-2014, 07:20 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default voes

Originally Posted by jammerx
Unless you have a aftermarket ignition you need the VOES...
The Harley " voes " switch is there for a reason .
The reason is ., it switches timing from advance to retard or visa/versa depending on engine load .
It recieves this information via a hose connected to the intake manifold .
The difference in manifold pres. activates the switch to advance or retard the ignition. This is a critical part of your ign. system and should not be screwed around with unless you have installed an appropriate aftermarket ign. system.

Quick Reply: Another ignorant question by someone trying to learn...VOES