EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Another ignorant question by someone trying to learn...VOES

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 PM
AAAC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another ignorant question by someone trying to learn...VOES

Isn't true that if your stock carb has been replaced, someone has most likely done away with the VOES? If my bike had the VOES, wouldn't there be a vacuum line hooked up to the back rear side of my Mikuni carb? That vacuum line nipple is capped off. I'm 95% sure I do not have a VOES, but this mechanic was telling me over the phone that I do b/c it's electronic. This all plays in to how the bike should be tuned...and if he thinks I have one and I don't, he obviously doesn't have it tuned right. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by AAAC
Isn't true that if your stock carb has been replaced, someone has most likely done away with the VOES? If my bike had the VOES, wouldn't there be a vacuum line hooked up to the back rear side of my Mikuni carb? That vacuum line nipple is capped off. I'm 95% sure I do not have a VOES, but this mechanic was telling me over the phone that I do b/c it's electronic. This all plays in to how the bike should be tuned...and if he thinks I have one and I don't, he obviously doesn't have it tuned right. Thanks!

Not necessarily....I have always just tossed the VOES on all of the bikes, I've owned that came with them.
It has little (if any) effect on the motor once it's off Idle.
It'll kick back on the starter every now and then without it, but that's about the only thing you'll notice.

Bike should run fine without it, mine always have.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 PM
D_gyver
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol hes hoping big words and technical talk will make you happy. if you don't have any vacuum lines coming off your intake or carb and your voes wire is capped off you don't have a voes

Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,511 Likes on 645 Posts

So do you have one or not? Im not understanding what a mechanic has to do with it over the phone.....also the vacuum line could be on the intake. BTW...I dont run one.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:43 PM
AAAC
Tourer

Originally Posted by D_gyver
lol hes hoping big words and technical talk will make you happy. if you don't have any vacuum lines coming off your intake or carb and your voes wire is capped off you don't have a voes
That's what I thought. Thanks.

I cannot see any vacuum lines on the intake or the carb. I assumed it had been trashed when the PO swapped out the carbs. I have NOT traced the wire from the IM to see if it's been capped though. Wouldn't I have to pull the timing plate to see that? Thanks again!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:46 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,511 Likes on 645 Posts

http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_voes.html

Here ya go.....now you can school him lol.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 PM
AAAC
Tourer

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_voes.html

Here ya go.....now you can school him lol.

Thanks for the link!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:00 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the tan side bar tells the complete story - only a drag bike leaving my shop does not get one - we see what happens to an engine - that some never see

Old 08-29-2014, 12:17 AM
AAAC
Tourer

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the tan side bar tells the complete story - only a drag bike leaving my shop does not get one - we see what happens to an engine - that some never see

I know I'm a newbie at learning these bikes and I'm trying to figure a lot of this stuff out on my own...but I don't understand what you are trying to tell me. Are you saying that all the bikes that leave your shop have a VOES hooked up unless they are drag bikes? I'm a hands on learner. I would literally volunteer for free to work at a good shop if there were one around here, just to learn. Once I see something and understand it, my brain grasps it immediately but it's far more difficult for me to understand concepts when I'm not sure how those concepts work together to begin with. I'm trying though.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:12 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,194 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
- only a drag bike leaving my shop does not get one -
Makes no sense not to run one on a street driven bike...serves the same function as a vacuum advance on an old car, much better throttle response and less chance of detonation. Useless on a drag bike since they never see part throttle operation.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 08-29-2014 at 05:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Another ignorant question by someone trying to learn...VOES