EVO All Evo Model Discussion

New project bike, need some opinions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 AM
Abandoned
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New project bike, need some opinions/advice

I recently picked up a new project. Was told it was a 98 Fatboy that was converted to a rigid frame, but after researching the VIN stamped on the engine I found out it was actually an 86 FXRS. Well at least the motor, the front end and rear wheel are definitely off a FB. Kinda close right?
Anyway after getting it home and looking it over trying to figure out what I wanna do to it... I found that the paint on the lower parts of the frame started peeling off, plus a couple dings and scratches in the paint as well. My first thought was since it's a project anyway, I might as well rip out the guts and get the frame powdercoated and start over. Now I'm wondering if that's a good idea or no?
So my question is how much of a pain is it to do a complete tear down and rebuild, just to repaint the frame. Worth doing or better to just try and touch up the paint where needed? Also any advice or tips from anyone that has done this before would be great.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:38 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Post some pics sounds like a cool one.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:46 AM
M1dniterider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, tear it all the way down, and have the frame powder coated. You never know what else you're going to find during tear down. It's a good idea to bag and identify hardware, don't just toss it all in a bucket. The further you tear it down, the better you'll know your bike, assuming you're talking about doing the work yourself. Do your research before deciding on a powdercoater. Look at some of there work. You can get powder coat on a wide variety of colors and it's tougher than paint. Of course I'm spending your money right now.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:56 AM
Abandoned
Road Captain

Originally Posted by M1dniterider
IMHO, tear it all the way down, and have the frame powder coated. You never know what else you're going to find during tear down. It's a good idea to bag and identify hardware, don't just toss it all in a bucket. The further you tear it down, the better you'll know your bike, assuming you're talking about doing the work yourself. Do your research before deciding on a powdercoater. Look at some of there work. You can get powder coat on a wide variety of colors and it's tougher than paint. Of course I'm spending your money right now.
I'll be doing the work myself, minus the painting. I actually do have a good powdercoater in my area that I've used for other projects, so that part will be easy. Shelling out the money won't be easy but let's hope the end results justifies it.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:00 AM
Abandoned
Road Captain

Originally Posted by woodman
Post some pics sounds like a cool one.
It's definitely cool, kinda got a Frankenstein vibe going on. FXRS motor with a bunch of upgrades, drag cams, open primary, Fatboy front end and rear wheel, etc...
I'll try to snap some pics this weekend and post them up.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 AM
M1dniterider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's really just a question of how nice do you want to make it/ what kind of money do you want to put into it. I know a ton if guys that would just ride it like it is (assuming it's running and road worthy-ish). There are some industrial enamel paints that are supposed to be pretty tough, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Then again, like you said you could just touch it up. You did call it a project though, so might as well powder coat the frame, put a custom paint job on it and stuff a S&S 124" in it. I love spending other peoples money!

Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Abandoned
I recently picked up a new project. Was told it was a 98 Fatboy that was converted to a rigid frame, but after researching the VIN stamped on the engine I found out it was actually an 86 FXRS. Well at least the motor, the front end and rear wheel are definitely off a FB. Kinda close right?
Anyway after getting it home and looking it over trying to figure out what I wanna do to it... I found that the paint on the lower parts of the frame started peeling off, plus a couple dings and scratches in the paint as well. My first thought was since it's a project anyway, I might as well rip out the guts and get the frame powdercoated and start over. Now I'm wondering if that's a good idea or no?
So my question is how much of a pain is it to do a complete tear down and rebuild, just to repaint the frame. Worth doing or better to just try and touch up the paint where needed? Also any advice or tips from anyone that has done this before would be great.

You bought it as a project so I would say strip it down to the frame and make it a real project.

The good thing about a project bike is you don't have to have it done on any time frame.

I say take your time and do it right.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:41 AM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's rideable now I say put a couple miles in it and figure out what's going on. Now would be the time to add or subtract anything you want/don't want I.E. welding or removing brackets from the frame and such.

You bought someone else's vision/project, but you obviously liked the direction it was going in. Nows the time to make it yours.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:23 AM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttle_Jockey
If it's rideable now I say put a couple miles in it and figure out what's going on. Now would be the time to add or subtract anything you want/don't want I.E. welding or removing brackets from the frame and such.

You bought someone else's vision/project, but you obviously liked the direction it was going in. Nows the time to make it yours.
I'm with TJ I'd put some miles on it and try and find quirks/issues.

Where's the icons This thread is worthless without pics.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:31 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 92Fatty
I'm with TJ I'd put some miles on it and try and find quirks/issues.

Where's the icons This thread is worthless without pics.

Quick Reply: New project bike, need some opinions/advice