EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil on Fins, 99 FLSTC

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 03:39 PM
SJRACER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on Fins, 99 FLSTC

I have not posted here in a while, but have a question. I was out on a ride today and a buddy noticed the oil on the fins, left side of the engine. His wife said she thinks it has been there a while. I recently (A few weeks ago) had the forks resealed because they were leaking. I detailed the bike last week so I doubt I missed this. I don't see any oil forward of that point, and cant really see where it is coming from. Any Ideas? On a side note, I am in South Carolina, and it was VERY HOT today, and we got stuck at SEVERAL stop lights. Any input is appreciated. Pictures are attached.

Attached Thumbnails Oil on Fins, 99 FLSTC-leak-1.jpg   Oil on Fins, 99 FLSTC-leak-2.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Fork oil or neck grease if it's not the front of your rocker box.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

I thought I had an oil leak in my cam cover this past spring. It tuned out it was fork oil form a blown fork seal. You won't believe where drops of fork oil can end up. In my case, it was hitting the right side motor case, going down underneath the motor, then climbing up the back of the motor and wetting the rear motor mount.

I suspect that's what you have. Clean it up and keep an eye on it to see if it comes back.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:26 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Check your rocker box gaskets.
I really don't think it is fork oil or neck grease.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:52 AM
SJRACER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I posted this on a facebook Motorcycle forum I belong to as well. One sugestion was to check the exhaust bolts where it mounts to the front of the engine. I was told it can get some blow by when the engine is very hot if the bolts are loose. The lower one was loose. I cleaned it up as best I could (still have a stain) and will keep an eye on it. The oil was right in line with the exhaust, plus I ran a rag over the front of the rocker box and didnt really get any oily residue, so I dont think that is it. Plus I dont have an Allen wrench that is short enough to fit in there with the tank on, so I cant really check those properly. Anyway I will keep you guys informed on what else I found. Any suggestions on getting the stains off?

On a side note, it really was not a leak, but more of some blow by. Like I said, it was VERY hot yesterday and I was stuck in a lot of traffic in Columbia SC, and hit a lot of stop lights.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:50 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,341 Posts

I'm going with rocker box or (remote chance) leftover oil from the fork seal change incident. Exhaust not tight? I seriously doubt that, unless you're puking oil out the tail pipe, in which case you have other problems.