EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Exhaust Questions...looking for recommendations...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,174 Likes on 6,218 Posts

Rush's sound good and are loud. Too loud for my taste, but if loud is what you want and good performance, have a look or listen to them. The sound reminds me of Rinehart's but louder. I am a big fan of the Rinehart's my dad has on his 08 Road King.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
In my case a SuperTrapp SuperMegs, although I haven't tried any others - I'm not an exhaust *****!

Going back to true duals, they are simply drag pipes with mufflers. The performance benefit of almost any other exhaust layout over them is that siamesed systems (used on every production vehicle with two or more cylinders) gain from interaction between the cylinders. That results in increased low/mid range torque, where we spend most of our time when riding.

In my own case I started life with my new S&S 107" engine by using TD pipes and S&S oval mufflers. Sounded great! Rode fine. I had recurring problems with the left pipe (older bikes like mine have a higher starter bump on the primary, which interfered with that pipe), so eventually swapped them for my SuperMegs. I had both sets of pipes optimised by my S&S indy on his dyno. The contrast between the two is quite remarkable!

Headline numbers are similar, which was no surprise, however my 2-into-1 gives me up to 15% greater low/mid range torque, which is very noticeable and worthwhile. It is free extra performance! The engine is smoother running and a darned sight nicer to ride with. On paper it might be said that there is not much difference, but that is a superficial assessment. On the road the two are like comparing chalk with cheese. No more TDs for me!

Where bikes are concerned, the origins of the siamesed systems goes back to BSA, late 50s/early 60s, when they produced a high-level siamesed exhaust for one of their twins and found, so their surprise, that the engine gave increased torque. They adopted the cross-pipe on all their twins, which every twin manufacturer on the Globe soon copied, for good reasons. Prior to H-D adopting the balance pipe on the other models, the Touring bikes were always quoted as giving more torque.

As for Buells and their excellent set-up (equal length pipes and a 2-into-1) I wish I had the same lunging torque in my Glide that my Firebolt has - almost a better touring engine! That set-up gives decent power, but a fat torque curve. It is torque not power that gets us along life's highway.
like you i have found an adjustable back pressured type 2 into one is the unit to make the arms feel it - it will add the speed of torque to the motor and thats the key Not how much HP you can make -

one of my bikes has a kerker 2 into 1 and its fine a guy sold it to me for 75 bucks brand new so i stuck it on the black bike then we modded the baffel with pipe wrap instead of the napkin it was wrapped with inside the baffel - its loud and does exactly what we wanted

the blue bike is a monster we street race it for money it has a pipe a rolex series exhaust guy made for me and a uni fit car super trap double defuser pack with the road racing end cone not the place mat they come with - took a few days to sort it out but its a hand full went with a kawie mean sreak fork assembly no other brakes we tryed seem to want to stop it in the city fast enough -

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Questions...looking for recommendations...-363624d1394568613-tweakin-the-voes-upgrading-the-ignition-picture-064.jpg   Exhaust Questions...looking for recommendations...-363623d1394568590-tweakin-the-voes-upgrading-the-ignition-picture-065.jpg