EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Gas tank customization problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:10 AM
ColdPizza
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank customization problem

Today after a beer i decided to put my FXE gas tank '75 on my Dyna FXD '95.
The shape and size of the frame aren't made to perfectly allow that skinny FXE gas tank.
I don't know what to invent to keep the gas tank sticky to the frame about near the seat zone.
The mounting kit available in internet requires the FXE frame :\
Should i use a drill on my FXD frame to make two holes closer the gas tank (which is smaller than the FXD oem fat one) ?

Thanks in advance to share your point of view end experience.

Last edited by ColdPizza; 09-02-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

My recommendation is never to start on the beer before the project, it can cause regret.

You probably could drill the frame but I would make up a strap type thing so I didn't have to drill the frame. Fix it to the FXE mount and have it wrap around the frame.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

We can think much better in technicolour! Post us a photo of the rear of the tank and frame, so we can visualise your challenge. I drilled the frame on my Glide recently, although that is because my tank is longer, not shorter, than the original one and both tanks sit on a large box-section.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:36 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

some people using a drill should have used a bomb instead less damage would have a cured

Old 09-02-2014, 11:38 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The '75 FXE tank uses two round rubber isolators in the front that the tank ears go under. in the back there is a horseshoe shaped isolator that the tank sits on and a rubber O-Ring that goes under the frame and hooks on two little hooks one on each side or the rear of the tank. That being said, you would have to make provisions for the front isolators to be mounted on each side of the frame in the front. Then on the rear if you can't find an O-Ring large enough to go around the frame, use a smaller one on each side going down to an attachment, like a short round headed allen bolt. Hope this helps.
John

Old 09-02-2014, 04:15 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

All of the mounting pieces for that tank are available from J&P Cycle.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 PM
ColdPizza
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
The '75 FXE tank uses two round rubber isolators in the front that the tank ears go under. in the back there is a horseshoe shaped isolator that the tank sits on and a rubber O-Ring that goes under the frame and hooks on two little hooks one on each side or the rear of the tank. That being said, you would have to make provisions for the front isolators to be mounted on each side of the frame in the front. Then on the rear if you can't find an O-Ring large enough to go around the frame, use a smaller one on each side going down to an attachment, like a short round headed allen bolt. Hope this helps.
John
Are these rubber hooks and O-Ring safe ? Could the rear cylinder with his temperature make dried the rubber hooks becoming dangerous the ride ?

GrBrown i posted few pictures https://www.hdforums.com/g/album/1888055

Last edited by ColdPizza; 09-02-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdPizza
Are these rubber hooks and O-Ring safe ? Could the rear cylinder with his temperature make dried the rubber hooks becoming dangerous the ride ?

GrBrown i posted few pictures https://www.hdforums.com/g/album/1888055
No, they used that mounting system for years with no issues that I'm aware of. (I'm really old enough to be familiar with them).

Old 09-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,922 Likes on 2,565 Posts

I have this same project on the back burner for my 97 WG. I scored a tank on Ebay a while ago but have not started the project. I am very interested in how you make out with it.

I saw the same setup in Italy 10 years ago on a Twin Cam Dyna, and yes just the rubber O-ring holding the back down. The original setup was a spring with clips that go to the tank. J&P shows them in their catalog but recent searches they no longer have them in stock. I did get the horse shoe from them, sitting on the same shelf as the gas tank.

Only issue stopping me from moving forward is losing the Speedo/Odometer. Ignition can be relocated to under the seat, maybe live without the idiot lights, but the other two I keep wondering about.

More pics please.

PS did you need to trim the front of the tank to get it to fit over the frame?