EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Is this 1994 Ultra Classic worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:22 PM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i too looked long and hard for a touring bike often trying to convince myself the high miles were not a issue... Almost folded a few times to a Black Touring bike
In the end i held out and searched on ..ended up with a 07 with 7000 miles on it

Old 09-12-2014, 08:16 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I have a 94 EGC that I've owned for 10 years so I'm not talking out of my azz here. The common parts are readily available some from the dealer and some from aftermarket suppliers.
The uncommon parts can be a bear to find and will require you being resourceful when trying to find replacements. Especially the electronic components. If the cruise doesn't work and that's something you want to use, the parts are discontinued by HD. Many HD parts were sourced from Delco or other mfgs so if you're willing to dig a bit sometimes you can get lucky. The changes starting on the '96 models allow more availability for swapping between model years.

I love mine and wouldn't consider going to a later model but I welcome these kinds of challenges. If you don't do a lot of your own work a later model might be a better choice.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:42 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

First off, it is really a nice looking scoot. Second, to me is it is a 94 and most of the connectors are the newer style versus the older style. You also have a full sized saddle bag on the right side. I love my 94 and it is not going anywhere period.

A bit high maybe, but like everyone else, he is selling his love and not just some bike. I'd try about 6300 and see what he thinks.

Griz

Old 09-14-2014, 09:36 AM
nyokie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Paid 7500 for mine with 70k on it with no rebuild. If ya like it grab it you cant cant go wrong with a old evo, with that rebuild proven you can ride it for a LONG time trouble free. Looks clean and well taken care of

Old 09-15-2014, 04:27 AM
Wimbo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid a lot more then that for my 84, but being in Australia thats what happens.
Fresh Motor and the unit looks very good mate. Bargain as far as I'm concerned if all the seller says is correct.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 AM
marktruckee
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback. Rebuild was done out of the area and paperwork was hard to find, but claims he has it. I'll meet with the owner this week to see where the truth gets fuzzy. I too always get a bit uneasy when sellers omit details about what they are selling.

I was aware of the older/newer electrical connectors issue, but not the difference in saddlebags. I clearly need to expand my search and view more bikes.

I also saw a 1998 EGUC for a similar price. Only 27,XXX miles on original motor. Seller is first and only owner. Comes equipped with original MM EFI. Owner made modifications to increase or decrease the air to the dampeners.

I recall a "less than stellar" cam bearing change with HD. What year did this occur? And if not addressed, is it worth staying away from those years?

I greatly appreciate your opinions.

Mark

Old 09-15-2014, 09:35 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by marktruckee
Thanks for all the feedback. Rebuild was done out of the area and paperwork was hard to find, but claims he has it. I'll meet with the owner this week to see where the truth gets fuzzy. I too always get a bit uneasy when sellers omit details about what they are selling.

I was aware of the older/newer electrical connectors issue, but not the difference in saddlebags. I clearly need to expand my search and view more bikes.

I also saw a 1998 EGUC for a similar price. Only 27,XXX miles on original motor. Seller is first and only owner. Comes equipped with original MM EFI. Owner made modifications to increase or decrease the air to the dampeners.

I recall a "less than stellar" cam bearing change with HD. What year did this occur? And if not addressed, is it worth staying away from those years?

I greatly appreciate your opinions.

Mark
The INA bearing has less rollers than a Timkin.
That said my bike went 100k on the INA bearing with no problems.

It is a fairly simple job to change them.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The Timken bearing is a 'crowded' roller type, which means the rollers can rub against each other while in motion. The INA is a caged roller type, where each roller runs separated from its neighbours by the cage. Theoretically the INA is a superior design, but there were indeed problems.

How many actually failed is lost to the ***** of history, but bear in mind that one high profile failure gets repeated so often that it becomes a myth. However as Texas indicates, it seems likely they can also give good service, just as the Timkens are credited with giving.

In other words don't get distracted! There is nothing about an Evo that gives cause for alarm.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:45 PM
marktruckee
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Today, I viewed the bike I posted above. Engine was very clean, no weeping/seeping. Re-manf motor was installed about 20,000 miles ago. Transmission had some oily surfaces. Owner was not aware if trans was serviced when engine was out. Paperwork only mentioned clutch plates/springs replaced.

Major disappointment was how you started the bike. One of the past owners had installed an aftermarket push button solenoid cover and relied solely on this to start the bike. The stock push button starter button does not work. Based on my experience with my FXRS, this could be a simple relay replacement, or something much more.

While I took it for a spin, my wife learned that the owner bought the bike 3 months ago, but has learned that he is not tall enough to ride this bike. He is looking to sell and replace with something more manageable. Bike road and shifted fine, but lacked power. Stock engine is in need of a cam. Upgraded exhaust helped.

He offered to discount the bike from $7700 to $6950. Based on what I saw and the potential electrical issue, this is a $5,000 bike, IMO.
I now have my sights on a 1996 Ultra for $5,000. This seems very reasonable, in fact, under priced: http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/4653048921.html. I wonder what is wrong with it??

Thanks for everyone's comments. I enjoy the feedback and advice.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:03 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by marktruckee
Major disappointment was how you started the bike. One of the past owners had installed an aftermarket push button solenoid cover and relied solely on this to start the bike. The stock push button starter button does not work. Based on my experience with my FXRS, this could be a simple relay replacement, or something much more.

While fixing it would be easy it would make me wonder what else was ignored instead of fixed.

Quick Reply: Is this 1994 Ultra Classic worth it?