Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Rinehart baffles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 02:51 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rinehart baffles?

I just got this 03 super glide. The pipes are Rinehart 2-2. They are excellent quality, and I like the style... except for one thing... they're waaayyy too LOUD for my tastes. The pipes/baffles are straight through.

I did a few searches here looking for info, but most of the discussions I found were talking about other types of pipes. The discussions indicated that the baffles in a lot of pipes are removable, at least with some effort, and that other baffles are available. Am I correct? What are my options to quieten this thing down?

Attached Thumbnails Rinehart baffles?-004.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 11:27 AM
oldbikenut
Tourer

The pipes have the Rinehart logo and are 2 into 2 staggered with black end caps. No oxygen sensor bung holes. Are they internally the same as what Rinehart is currently offering for the dyna's, (300-0200 et. al.)?

Getting these baffles out is going to be a chore, and I'd rather not attempt it unless I have some kind of replacement ready to reinstall. If I try to order baffles from someone like Big City Thunder, they are going to need to know what pipes I have. Right?

Anybody?

Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes they will, Rinehart makes quieter baffles if you have the larger loud ones.
Go to Rinehart's wed site and you can send an email asking tech questions.
I am not sure how to tell if you have the louder ones or not.
I do know that there were 2 different manufactures of the pipes so you will have to know which ones you have, they will be able to tell you.
Also, I think I read somewhere that you can rap the baffle with fiber glass or another substance that can take heat and that will quit them down too.
Hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:38 PM
kidsid99
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There should be a number stamped into the side of them. I know on touring mufflers they are stamped near the mounting brackets. If you give them that number they will tell you what is available.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:16 PM
oldbikenut
Tourer

Well, I did get in contact with Rinehart.

"Thanks for contacting us.

The system you have is an older system produced by Bub Enterprises. We discontinued that system when we parted ways with Bub back in 2008. I do not have any specs or replacement parts for that system, and we never offered a quiet baffle for that system. I have heard of people wrapping the baffles in Fiberglass muffler packing to quiet them down, but this may not give you as good a sound, and will probably have a negative effect on your performance.

Best regards,
Shawn Wright"

I did get industrious and pulled the baffles out. Not much to them really.

I found some cheapo universal baffles on evilbay that are the correct dimensions, and look like they might be more effective than what was in the pipes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191285576990...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Good idea? Bad idea?

Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 PM
kidsid99
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are yours 2" on both ends like the picture looks? I have a set of the old style baffle that Rinehart told me was a Bub baffle and it is about 1 1/2" (haven't measured it for sure) except for tip that goes into end cap is 2". They were too quiet for me so I got the larger baffle but had to have it modified to fit in front of older mufflers.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:50 AM
sevitz5
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kidsid99
Are yours 2" on both ends like the picture looks? I have a set of the old style baffle that Rinehart told me was a Bub baffle and it is about 1 1/2" (haven't measured it for sure) except for tip that goes into end cap is 2". They were too quiet for me so I got the larger baffle but had to have it modified to fit in front of older mufflers.
can you tell me what you had to do to make the newer hi-flo baffle work in the older mufflers??