Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Are my V&H Straight Shot slip-ons unrstrictive enough?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Are my V&H Straight Shot slip-ons unrstrictive enough?

I follow the line of thought between slip-ons and a complete sysyem. However, I don't understand how this may hold particulary true with the V&H Straight Shot slip-ons. My God, these things are basically drag pipe tips with straight thru baffles you can drop a screwdriver through!

With a full system I would still have the same diameter head pipes. These slip-on just extend my length to what is probably a proper tuned length for a drag pipe. What would I gain with a 'complete full Straight Shot system' other than the elimination of the connector joint?

I refer to the Straight Shots as 'drag pipes' because they are as freakin loud as drag pipes but perhaps with the raw edge taken off by their absolutely minimal internal baffleing. Sound bad *** but probably with the inherent no back pressure no low end torque that comes with drag pipes.

In short, I just don't see this model being classed as a traditional 'slip-on' just because they bolt up to the head pipe. Calling them mufflers is even a stretch!

Old 04-26-2015, 09:12 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

When I bought my 13 Heritage new, at 75 miles on the clock I installed my Straight Shots and had lot's of decel pop. Not surprised since the Straight Shots have a cylindrical baffle compared to an hour glass shape.
Once I installed my Arlen Ness Big Sucker stage II with the Vance and Hines Fuelpak3, the Heritage has been running well with no decel pop.

I'd say that since the baffling is cylindrical, your probably running one of the least restrictive type slip on's out there. Now, if your only looking at stage I upgrade, then replacing the head pipes would only get you a slight increase of power, may not even be "butt dyno" noticeable.

If your looking for the noticeable seat of the pants difference, your now towards the dark side (cams, etc).