Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stage 1 Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Flipsyde
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 Upgrade

So, let me start by saying I'm not a mechanic. I have done some motor work on shovels and IH's back in the day. Don't know twin cams at all. Just picked up a 2000 ultra bone stock with 28k easy miles. After the season I'll check cam tensioner and do a Stage 1 Upgrade. I have the MM EFI so not sure if that has relevance. I know changing to carb is easy but kinda like the idea of EFI.
Asking for opinions on YOUR favorite combinations of AC's, exhaust, etc...
PCIII perhaps? Let me hear from ya!
Thanks

Old 08-03-2015, 11:23 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Up at the top right corner of all the Forum Sections there is a Search function. Start there and then if you can't find what you're looking for then ask some questions that have been answered numerous countless times before. Just type in, Oh I don't know, "Stage 1 upgrade" and see what pops up.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Flipsyde
6th Gear

Thanks OldEnuf2noBtr for the suggestion. I did the search prior to posting. Didn't get what I needed, mostly newer bikes, read a bunch of them. The reason I posted was to get opinions of what pipes (true duals vs slipons), brands, AC, PcIII vs SERT for older TC88 with MM EFI that people liked and why. Loud, not loud, easy tuning, etc. plus what to stay away from if any.
No worries, I'll get the info from my local indie shop, friends and whatever I can gleen from Internet sources. Thanks again for the search tip.

Flip

Old 08-05-2015, 11:41 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Flip, send me a PM as I have a used PCIII here at my shop I would be willing to part with for the tuning part of your bike. As far as air cleaners go, An Arlen Ness Big Sucker would be my choice for you bike (or any bike for that matter). Exhaust systems are very subjective, that being said, I would go with a true dual setup as they offer the coolest sound, and sound the best having each cylinder thumping in its own pipe. The Bassani Power Curve duals would be my choice there. Muffler sound is usually correlated with diameter. The bigger the diameter of the muffler the deeper the note, and usually they have a quieter overall loudness to them. You can buy 4" diameter Cycle Shack mufflers for ~$350 a set or spend north of $800 on V&H Monster Ovals, and there are mufflers at different price points between the two. I recommend going to a bike night and listening to different bikes; if you hear one you like ask the owner what exhaust he has if you cannot tell by looking....I have never come across a guy that didn't want to talk about his motorcycle!

Old 08-06-2015, 01:22 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Flip, you're asking what are sometimes called 'open questions', in other words asking for so much info that it isn't possible to give you simple answers. Indeed the very expression 'stage 1' doesn't have a clear definition. There is no need to rush into this, so spend time on the road, talk to people you meet and their bikes, spend some time in here reading through what people get up to - improve your understanding and knowledge of tuning your bike, so you can narrow the field down to a manageable level.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 AM
Flipsyde
6th Gear

Thanks for the reply grbrown. Guess I was looking for personal preferences and why. Like you say, figured most riders love to talk about their own setups. With the MM EFI I had heard there may be issues when upgrading so was looking for real experience replies. Maybe I should have posted in a more "chatty" section instead of technical. Still learnin'...
I'll keep rootin' around and see what I can find.
Dfwhockey17, I'll PM you once Admin enables my account.
Respects,
Flip

Old 08-07-2015, 10:16 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Take a look in the Touring section, as you will find a lot of related stuff in there. Exhausts don't know if they have a carb or EFI and I certainly like my Supertrapp Supermeg, which makes the engine run very smoothly and also gives an excellent spread of torque.

Last edited by grbrown; 08-07-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 08-08-2015, 06:52 AM
Flipsyde
6th Gear

Thanks grbrown. Yeah "touring", I was kinda thinking that very thing. I'll check out the Supermegs, good to know you're pleased with them.
R,
F