Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Vance & Hines Short Shot Baffle Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:56 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Vance & Hines Short Shot Baffle Opinions

I have a 2011 Street Bob with Vance & Hines Short Shot Staggered pipes. Currently I'm running the standard baffle. I also have a set of the V&H quiet baffles. I'm looking for some opinions on running them with no baffles vs. the standard baffles vs. the quiet baffles (Performance, sound, etc).

Old 08-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I just bought a set of short shots off someone with the quiet baffle installed. They are definitely quieter but still have a good sound. My buddy had a set of short shots on his Low Rider with the standard baffle which I rode so I know there's a noticeable difference. I do not need ear plugs with a FF helmet. I can tell there's a slight bit more pep with the exhaust but I'm still on a stock intake which hurts me.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:43 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been running the standard baffles for a while now and decided to go ahead and put the quiet baffles in. I downloaded a decibel sound meter for my smartphone but found out the phone has a limiter that stops at 70 decibels so the following results will not bew that scientific.

No baffle:
Sound is very loud and sharp.

Standard Baffle:
As load and sharp as with no baffle, at least as far as I can tell, but I suspect the standard baffle creates some back pressure by slowing the exhaust gases down. You can still see completely through it though.

Quiet Baffle:
Noticeably quieter and a softer more throaty sound but still much louder than stock.

Quiet Baffle - Off the bike idling:
It's as loud as the standard baffle when standing right next to the exhaust but there's no sharp sound.
It's quieter when standing behind the bike at idle 10 feet away.

Quiet Baffle -While riding:
Idle is quieter (Sitting above the exhaust).
Revving the throttle is as loud as the standard baffle.
Cruising at highway speeds is much quieter.
Cruising at city speeds is a little quieter.

I'm going to leave the quiet baffles in for awhile and see how I like them.

Thanks for you feedback!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks for posting your observations, I can confirm what you're saying about the quiet baffles. Seems like the faster you go, the more the exhaust fades into the ambient noise. I've also noticed that they do lack the crack I normally associate with V&H exhaust.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:12 PM
LibelLarry
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Who can install such pipes (dealer?)...I am unable.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:17 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LibelLarry
Who can install such pipes (dealer?)...I am unable.
Any dealer or Indy should install a set of pipes but will probably charge you $200-$400 to do it with parts (exhaust gaskets) and labor. They will also tell you that you will need the stage 1 ECM download, but if you haven't changed the intake (air cleaner) you don't have to have it. The dealer will tell you that you "need" it and that your warranty will void if you don't, which is all to scare you into spending more money. If you do have a high flow A/C though at a minimum you will need the download. A better route to go is an aftermarket tuner if you are going that way though.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:45 AM
Yabz
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Any dealer or Indy should install a set of pipes but will probably charge you $200-$400 to do it with parts (exhaust gaskets) and labor. They will also tell you that you will need the stage 1 ECM download, but if you haven't changed the intake (air cleaner) you don't have to have it. The dealer will tell you that you "need" it and that your warranty will void if you don't, which is all to scare you into spending more money. If you do have a high flow A/C though at a minimum you will need the download. A better route to go is an aftermarket tuner if you are going that way though.
I'd never recommend changing anything related to air, fuel, or exhaust without paying for a retune or putting a tuner on and doing it yourself. I pulled the baffles out of mine, but left the sleeve in creating just enough back pressure. You need to cut or snap the welds to do that, and just ease it out. You still get that deep tone with the lop, but the back pressure is just enough to keep the exhaust ports in check.

I bought a cobra FI2000 autotuner and it does the job nice. And then no matter what you do from there it tunes to match. Well worth the money.

Now if you're gonna change the exhaust, do yourself the favor of opening up the intake. That paper stock sh*t is a no-no. There's a bunch out there so just go at least stage 1. V&H and Arlen Ness both have nice inexpensive ones and with a easy mod you can use the Harley covers on them. You'll be opening her up nice on the low end and still have some pull in the seat on the high end also.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:17 AM
asa1199
Tourer

Received 85 Likes on 45 Posts

Has anyone tried the quiet baffle without the fiberglass wrapping on?

Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 AM
Mossie
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi

Originally Posted by enodrano
I have been running the standard baffles for a while now and decided to go ahead and put the quiet baffles in. I downloaded a decibel sound meter for my smartphone but found out the phone has a limiter that stops at 70 decibels so the following results will not bew that scientific.

No baffle:
Sound is very loud and sharp.

Standard Baffle:
As load and sharp as with no baffle, at least as far as I can tell, but I suspect the standard baffle creates some back pressure by slowing the exhaust gases down. You can still see completely through it though.

Quiet Baffle:
Noticeably quieter and a softer more throaty sound but still much louder than stock.

Quiet Baffle - Off the bike idling:
It's as loud as the standard baffle when standing right next to the exhaust but there's no sharp sound.
It's quieter when standing behind the bike at idle 10 feet away.

Quiet Baffle -While riding:
Idle is quieter (Sitting above the exhaust).
Revving the throttle is as loud as the standard baffle.
Cruising at highway speeds is much quieter.
Cruising at city speeds is a little quieter.

I'm going to leave the quiet baffles in for awhile and see how I like them.

Thanks for you feedback!
hi where can i buy these quiet baffles for my SE 2 pipes. Like the fact that it still sounds nice when one revs it.