Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Exhaust Options on 2015 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:53 PM
WA97HDspringer
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Options on 2015 Road King

Recently purchased a 2015 Road King...now that it's broken in and have put about 3,300 miles on it, looking to upgrade the exhaust. Just went to stage one but still have the stock pipes.

Not looking to set off car alarms but do want to be noticed. Friends of mine swear by Vance & Hines but A.) I am not a conformist and B.) Never like the popping you get on V&H mufflers when gearing down. However, I know that V&H header pipes are probably the best out there for Harleys.

I have done some research and narrowed it down to 4 possibilities:

Samson True Dual Headers with Rolled Thunder Mufflers - Have Samson's on our 1997 Heritage Springer and love the sound we get.

Vance & Hines Headers with Twin Slash Slip-ons - Not sold on V&H but they are competitively priced.

Freedom True Dual Exhaust System with Slash Cut Mufflers - Saw these on a trip to Sturgis and heard them on a bike they had there. Sounded good at idle and when rapping them but never heard them on the road.

American Custom True Dual Headers with Revolution 4" slash down ends - Came across this company and other forums have given them high praise. They do have some sound samples on their website but I'm not sure how much I can trust that.

I do plan on de-catting to take away the heat from my right leg...gets a little uncomfortable on long rides.

Any advice would be appreciated...I am leaning toward the Samson as I have had success with them on my Heritage Springer.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

Just passing through to get some info ..

Old 09-08-2015, 12:46 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

There are countless options and configurations when it come to exhaust for your bike. Coming form someone who deals with this stuff day in and day out I would steer clear of V&H products, too many issues, poor quality and very poor customer service if needed. Samson makes good products, but if I were to go with a set of true dual head pipes I would use Bassani as they are some of the best I have dealt with from a quality and fitment standpoint; they have excellent chrome and really thick and solid heat shields (V&H take note). When it comes to mufflers, pick your flavor. there are a lot of 4" mufflers out there and this will ultimately determine the tone and volume of the bike. For mufflers I like CFR, Bassani, D&D, Rush and some of the Freedoms. What tuner are you or will you be using?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:08 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

D&D Fat Cat with the performance baffle.