Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Warranty void onSE race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:57 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The Dealer/Owner that tuned my bike stood behind their work 100% and gave me a verbal agreement that they would not void the warranty on my bike IF any problems arose from the installation of the Race Tuner.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I've had plenty of verbal agreements of people standing behind their work. When the problems started showing up from crap work, the verbal agreements somehow changed which added the words "not", "none" and "no".

People do not honor their word these days especially after they have taken your money.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:25 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
I've had plenty of verbal agreements of people standing behind their work. When the problems started showing up from crap work, the verbal agreements somehow changed which added the words "not", "none" and "no".

People do not honor their word these days especially after they have taken your money.
Then your just dealing with the wrong people to begin with.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've installed H-D race tuners on my last 3 bikes, and also had warranty work done by the dealer, and never was denied coverage. I'm not saying it has/has not happened but you may be working yourself into an assumption that isn't true. Ask other riders who frequent that dealership and find out the facts.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:00 PM
BillJ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off they can't just void a warranty whole sale, what they can do is deny a warranty claim if it is found the cause of the warranty claim is due to an aftermarket part/product.

That is a pretty high standard for Harley or any other manufacture to overcome. It takes more then just them and the dealer saying it, they actually have to show/prove how the aftermarket part/product was the cause of the issue.

What they are hiding behind on the ECM's are the EPA regulations. Sadly the EPA don't know their own **** from a hole in the ground and they just spout off standards and leave it to the manufactures to figure out a way to meet said EPA standard.

That has resulted in a lot of very poor running engines, the auto manufactures have found ways around the EPA standards with computer technology but motorcycle manufactures still have not caught up and the end result is we have overly lean running engines that run way to hot.

The dealer screams your warranty is void because they don't want to have to eat a warranty claim from Harley if Harley decides to deny that warranty job. The reality is it is very rare that an aftermarket part or product causes problems down the chain and if the aftermarket part/product itself is bad the manufacture does not have to warranty said part/product. You would have to go to the manufacture of the aftermarket product to have them warranty the part/product but you will likely have to pick up the labor side.

Far to many people quickly cower to the dealers threats of voiding a warranty when you are protected by the Magnuson Moss warranty act.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:37 PM
surfcitybeach
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the stage one on the air intake, the V&H powerheader without the cat, V&H 450 mufflers and the second race tuner aND dyno tuned. All done and installed by the dealer. I didn't sign anything but the service order. The warranty was never mentioned.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of crap when the dealer does a stage 1 or 2 flash for you, it's the same thing the SE tuber does. I was gonna get the dealership to do a stage 1 flash for me but the price was like $200 & for a bit more I can get the SE tuner & do more on my own down the road.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BillJ
First off they can't just void a warranty whole sale, what they can do is deny a warranty claim if it is found the cause of the warranty claim is due to an aftermarket part/product.

That is a pretty high standard for Harley or any other manufacture to overcome. It takes more then just them and the dealer saying it, they actually have to show/prove how the aftermarket part/product was the cause of the issue.

What they are hiding behind on the ECM's are the EPA regulations. Sadly the EPA don't know their own **** from a hole in the ground and they just spout off standards and leave it to the manufactures to figure out a way to meet said EPA standard.

That has resulted in a lot of very poor running engines, the auto manufactures have found ways around the EPA standards with computer technology but motorcycle manufactures still have not caught up and the end result is we have overly lean running engines that run way to hot.

The dealer screams your warranty is void because they don't want to have to eat a warranty claim from Harley if Harley decides to deny that warranty job. The reality is it is very rare that an aftermarket part or product causes problems down the chain and if the aftermarket part/product itself is bad the manufacture does not have to warranty said part/product. You would have to go to the manufacture of the aftermarket product to have them warranty the part/product but you will likely have to pick up the labor side.

Far to many people quickly cower to the dealers threats of voiding a warranty when you are protected by the Magnuson Moss warranty act.
The Magnuson Moss warranty act is only valid in the USA, not Europe where I live.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:21 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
If you remove the PCV, the dealer can make the argument that the failure was a direct result of the aftermarket parts which caused a rich/lean condition.

It will not be long before the MoCo programs checks into the ECM for any variations beyond the stock configuration.
I would not be the least bit surprised to learn thati MOCO has that capability now.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Crispy Nubbins
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bad tappets
I would not be the least bit surprised to learn thati MOCO has that capability now.
We have this ability in the automotive field now. I'm a mopar tech & if you have an engine failure on a Cummings deisel that's 1 of the first things they want to see. Cause if you got a tuner on it your warranty is void no questions asked. And if there's doubt they'll ask for the ECM to be sent in for them check the software in it.

Quick Reply: Warranty void onSE race tuner