Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Finally found out about my engine!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally found out about my engine!

Well after owning my 01 Ultra for two years now, I finally found out what mods were done to my engine. I tried with no luck to find out what had been done to my bike's engine shortly after purchasing this bike used from a small bike dealership. Calling Harley was a joke, as they only referred me to the dealership who originally sold the bike. I called this dealership and got nowhere.
Last week I had a local wrench go into the cam chest to check the tensioners and found out that I have the SE-258 cams in it. The tensioners were shot and almost into the metal on the outer one. Close one there! So now I researched the cams and find out they were a part of a 95" kit with the SE HTCC heads and pistons. Some were even a part of a stroker kit (103"). Mine does not appear to be a 103". After the work, the bike runs stronger and quieter than it has since I bought it. Why can't Harley link their service departments so that info on a bike would be easier to find?

My mainshaft and jackshaft seals were also replaced at the same time. Now all that's left is to fix my sluggish starter, and all will be well here. My bike seems to have higher than stock compression, but not extremely high. Would an updated starter be sufficient or should I go with compression releases?

Old 05-04-2007, 05:22 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Finally found out about my engine!

Compression releases would probably be your best bet.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compression releases in my opinion having just gone through the same ordeal.

If you can tear down your own motor then it's far cheaper as well.

The good hi-torque starters and hi-output batteries are very expensive.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:18 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

With so many people doing there own builds ,how in the world would you expect Harley to keep track of it ?

Old 05-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The only reason I checked with Harley Davidson is the fact that this a SE kit and would probably be installed at a dealership, or so I hoped. It was a long shot, but I had to try anyway.

My starter is ok. My local wrench checked the solenoid contacts and saw that they had corrosion on the copper contacts. He cleaned the contacts, and now the bike starts just fine. This a good place to look first before commiting to a new starter or a rebuild kit.