Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Re-installed OEM pipes, leaking & blue-ing FLSTC 1999 EVO Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:31 PM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Re-installed OEM pipes, leaking & blue-ing FLSTC 1999 EVO Heritage

Exhaust Problem on FLSTC 1999 EVO Heritage I re-installed original 1999 factory exhaust pipes today.
Got smoke from 4 places after engine hot from several minutes idle.
Smoke stopped after several more minutes idle plus 1-minute ride.
*Main area of concern is exhaust continues blowing out from male-female joint of front & rear sections of balance pipe. Smoke forced out in steady stream from entire circumference of male-female joint and now can feel exhaust gases blowing out.

fwiw: The installed original OEM pipes replaced Samson Long Shots that were making me deaf. OEM's much quieter – Yay.
Did not change air intake or carb settings or jets.

Smoke in other areas (below) stopped after 4 minutes idle & ride 1 minute.
-Smoke curling off bolt areas, front header pipe at exhaust port. Maybe blue Loctite. Stopped.
-No smoke from rear header pipe at exhaust port.
-Smoke curling off 2 screw clamps that hold heat shield. Stopped. Loctite?

Later I rode it 10 minutes in 45-degree air. Afterward I noticed a lot of blue on rear header pipe. I think it is more than was there before install. Begins 2 inches downstream of balance pipe connection to rear pipe.

Guessing smoke was blue Loctite I put on those smokin' places?
BUT I put NO blue Loctite on the balance pipe connection that smoked a lot and still has steady leak.

I lightly coated insides of everything with Permatex Copper Anti Seize Lubricant, front & rear headers & gaskets, lots on leaking balance pipe joint.

EVO Softail Manual doesn’t tell me, section 4-30.
EVO Softail Parts Catalog page 130 illustration and parts list page 133.

What do I do here?
Will I hurt anything if I ride it 50 miles twice before re-jetting, re-adjusting carb, changing air intake? (I want to show off new-to-me Harley at Thanksgiving to family I haven’t seen in 10 years). Also looking forward to a mile of gravel road and climbing a steep curving washboard gravel hill.

fwiw These original 1999 pipes have only 1,000 miles on them but bike has 40,000 miles; original OEM replaced 39,000 miles ago with Samson Long Shots, which are destroying my hearing.
New crush gaskets front & rear header pipes at engine but re-used perfect-looking gasket & washer in balance pipe.

Thanks for any advice or observations.
Kayakeur Bud, November 24, 2015

Last edited by Kayakeur; 11-24-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: tighten format
Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

First, you need new gaskets at the crossover pipe if it is leaking there.
Second, no need for blue loctite on any part of your exhaust unless it is on bolts mounting a bracket to the transmission. The smoke you are seeing is the loctite/oil/penetrating lube burning off, no need to worry there.
Third, you can ride it your planned 100+ miles before rejetting the carb without issue as long as it is not so rich you are fouling plugs.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:59 PM
Kayakeur
Tourer
Location: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Great knowing I can ride it to Thanksgiving tomorrow! Thanks!
Smoke due to lube burn-off, that makes sense.

Dang, what a PITA to insert new gaskets into the crossover pipe.
Is there some kind of squooshy high-temp product you can squeeze or squirt into the tiny gap between front & rear sections of crossover pipe? Seal it! ("Dear Permatex, Do you . . . "
Ok, I tear it all off again (3rd time) including that one nut with open end wrench 1/6 turn at a time.
Ka-Ching! $10 for crossover gasket & washer
Ka-ching! $18 for 2 more header crush gaskets (third pair_)
Ka-Ching! $18 for today's 2 header crush washers (2nd pair) - remove & trash
Ka-Ching! $18 for 2 crush gaskets first time - to re-install Samsons when didnt have bracket for OEMs
I'm at $64 for 8 little round squishy metal washers / gaskets. Moco profits up this month.

Ahhh, it is a labor of love!
This time I take my meds so the voices in the saddlebags don't distract me!

Last edited by Kayakeur; 11-25-2015 at 12:02 AM. Reason: humor
Old 11-25-2015, 10:07 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

You can probably get away with reusing the header gaskets since they sealed and you are putting the same pipes back on. They will fit in where you crushed them already. That being said, I would replace them as if they don't seal you will be pulling the system off again to replace them again....Quit paying HD for gaskets, find a local indy that sells them. We sell the exhaust gaskets at the head for $4.99/ea and the crossover gaskets for $3.99/ea...