Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Dual Exhaust and Loss of Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Garrman
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust and Loss of Torque?

I am considering the Cobra Engineering True Dual head pipes to use with my currently installed Vance and Hines Monster Ovals. I like the look of true duals but am lead to understand that I will lose low end torque. The bike is a 2002 FLHPI Road King Police.

Any truth to this? If true, would I lose enough torque to feel a difference?

Thanks,
Garrman

Old 12-21-2015, 04:34 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrman
I am considering the Cobra Engineering True Dual head pipes to use with my currently installed Vance and Hines Monster Ovals. I like the look of true duals but am lead to understand that I will lose low end torque. The bike is a 2002 FLHPI Road King Police. Any truth to this? If true, would I lose enough torque to feel a difference?

Thanks,
Garrman
As a general rule, true duals don't really work well on smaller displacement motors. 107" is the smallest motor I would run a set of true duals and then it would not be Cobras. I don't believe the Cobra head pipe is a stepped head pipe which makes things worse. JMHO but I think you would be better off with the true dual conversion kit from Fulsac which will allow you to retain the OEM head pipe which is certainly as good as the Cobra head pipe. You probably won't feel the loss of torque riding solo but probably would riding two up.

http://fullsac.com/product/true-dual...8-flh-touring/

Old 12-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Garrman
Cruiser

Hey djl,

I appreciate the insight. I had considered Fullsac Performance but I don't believe they will ship to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. I might be able to come up with a work around for that.

Garrman

Old 12-21-2015, 05:35 PM
aaa1988
Road Master
Received 577 Likes on 293 Posts

What about the cobra power port head pipe. Looks like true duals and they are a good head pipe and make good power. My engine builder highly recommended them.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:21 PM
HGMC_GB
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was always told with TC motors that 2 into 1 always gave you more power through all the gears, I had V&H longshots and then switched up to a @ into I set-up, noticed a difference immediately even before I put it on the dyno

Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by aaa1988
What about the cobra power port head pipe. Looks like true duals and they are a good head pipe and make good power. My engine builder highly recommended them.
The head pipe is not stepped; any exhaust, 2:1, 2:2 or 2:1:2 will benefit from a stepped head pipe.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Garrman
Cruiser

I had asked the question of Cobra USA Tech Support prior to posting on the forum. I find the response I received today interesting.

"The Cobra true duals for your year Road King are not stepped. You may lose a little hp but you will gain torque. A lot has to do with the mufflers you install on the head pipes as well. Thanks for asking Cobra, ride safe."

Lose horse power but gain torque? Seems contrary to everything I have ever been told. Not sure what to think at this point.

Garrman

Old 12-26-2015, 04:24 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Garrman
I had asked the question of Cobra USA Tech Support prior to posting on the forum. I find the response I received today interesting.

"The Cobra true duals for your year Road King are not stepped. You may lose a little hp but you will gain torque. A lot has to do with the mufflers you install on the head pipes as well. Thanks for asking Cobra, ride safe."

Lose horse power but gain torque? Seems contrary to everything I have ever been told. Not sure what to think at this point.

Garrman
Better choices than Cobra.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:35 PM
HGMC_GB
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What are you looking for. Power,sound,hp, etc

Old 12-27-2015, 01:44 AM
Garrman
Cruiser

I much prefer the look of true duals as well as the sound. Having said that, I'm not sure I want to give up torque in the bargain. In my opinion with a ~725 pound bike, torque, especially in the low end, is your friend.

I have been researching other options for duals and the Rinehart 100 0102 is starting to look pretty good. Anyone have experience with the Rinehart set up?

Garrman

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust and Loss of Torque?