Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

MGS True Duals or S&S Power Tune Duals

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:12 AM
DanMan90
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGS True Duals or S&S Power Tune Duals

Having a hard time deciding what to put on my 2012 FLHTP. I thought I was dead set on MGS and then the guy who is tuning the bike recommended S&S. Can't decide which I would like more because I can't do a comparison in person. I think my biggest concerns are the S&S may not be as vocal as I want and i have no idea how they would stack up with dyno numbers. I think the S&S will cost me about $300 more but are they worth it? I didn't read any literature about them being ceramic coated for heat management...

Figured I would look to other members for support on the decision and to see if they could sway my decision one way or the other.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 AM
DanMan90
Intermediate

Additionally, it will be paired with a SE heavy breather and cams to match the setup.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:39 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

S&S are our go-to headpipe for baggers. We install them (more than 30 sets now) with all different kinds of mufflers and have had great results with them. They are not ceramic coated and you will not get the true dual sound as they have a crossover built in. The mufflers are going to play a bigger role in overall sound of the bike, but like I said, you will not get the individual cylinder thump that a true dual system will give you. They will make more power than true duals, albeit a small amount....

Old 01-28-2016, 01:10 PM
DanMan90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
S&S are our go-to headpipe for baggers. We install them (more than 30 sets now) with all different kinds of mufflers and have had great results with them. They are not ceramic coated and you will not get the true dual sound as they have a crossover built in. The mufflers are going to play a bigger role in overall sound of the bike, but like I said, you will not get the individual cylinder thump that a true dual system will give you. They will make more power than true duals, albeit a small amount....
Is there a specific reason they are your go to pipe?

For the cost of them, I'm just curious what makes them stand out against the competitors.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:28 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I installed some MGS true duals with loud baffle option for my buddy last year. Very nice pipes. No experience with the S&S powertune duals. In a stock motor, the performance difference isnt going to be very noticeable while riding. Although dyno may say different. My guess is that you cant go wrong with either. I would pick the one that looks and sounds the best to you.

Here's a video clip of the MGS true duals I installed on a Road King.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:07 PM
DanMan90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
I installed some MGS true duals with loud baffle option for my buddy last year. Very nice pipes. No experience with the S&S powertune duals. In a stock motor, the performance difference isnt going to be very noticeable while riding. Although dyno may say different. My guess is that you cant go wrong with either. I would pick the one that looks and sounds the best to you.

Here's a video clip of the MGS true duals I installed on a Road King.

https://youtu.be/ahkDQLZ4-es
Thank you for sharing, they definitely sound pretty good!

Old 01-31-2016, 10:40 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan90
Is there a specific reason they are your go to pipe?

For the cost of them, I'm just curious what makes them stand out against the competitors.
The S&S/Khrome Werks head pipes were the first that routed the rear cylinder pipe under the frame like the '09 and later, on '08 and earlier bikes. This removed the heat that would build up right under the seat to under the bike and made for a more comfortable ride in the temperature field. The other reasons are fit and fitment are top notch as to be expected by S&S. Also, they perform VERY well from a power perspective on older and newer bikes. We picked up something like 8hp (IIRC) on a S&S 111" in a '95 Full Dresser over the stock head pipes using the same mufflers (Thunder Header). They make a great replacement head pipe when looking to get rid of the cat on newer bikes as well. That being said, there are a bunch of good head pipes out the that will perform just as well. At our shop we are big fans of Bassani and D&D as well. I happen to have Bassani Power Curve Duals on my '02 Bagger because I really like the true dual sound and am willing to give up a few ponies and torques here or there to have the sound I want...

My bagger with Bassani Power Curve equal length head pipes mated to CFR mufflers.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:54 PM
MGS Performance
Former Sponsor

Run special for HD forum members Power Commander big sucker and the true duals $1089.00

Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 AM
ccdeluxe
Intermediate
Default Too Hot for me

I was given a set of MGS True Duals for my 13 RG. Loved the sound. The problem I had was the heat from the rear pipe. comes right under the seat area and under the left thigh area. I bought a roll of high dollar exhaust wrap and tried to knock down the heat. I hated sitting at stop lights. If you ride two up alot the passenger will have to watch the pipe on the left side also. I think MGS makes a great exhaust system, just wasn't for me. I just purchased the S&S head pipe off the recommendation of the guy that will be tuning my bike.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:11 PM
DanMan90
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ccdeluxe
I was given a set of MGS True Duals for my 13 RG. Loved the sound. The problem I had was the heat from the rear pipe. comes right under the seat area and under the left thigh area. I bought a roll of high dollar exhaust wrap and tried to knock down the heat. I hated sitting at stop lights. If you ride two up alot the passenger will have to watch the pipe on the left side also. I think MGS makes a great exhaust system, just wasn't for me. I just purchased the S&S head pipe off the recommendation of the guy that will be tuning my bike.
Huh, thank you for sharing your experience.

I am currently leaning towards S&S Power tune duals but now need to figure out what mufflers to run. I am looking to get a nice deep rumble with a serious bark when you rip the throttle, I am looking for loud but not obnoxious. I also need to get a set that perform well with MR103 or S&S 551 cams...

Suggestions welcome.

Quick Reply: MGS True Duals or S&S Power Tune Duals