Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Oxygen Sensors on Raod King

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:02 PM
USMCMSgt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baloot-boy
08 models come with O2 sensors. Being that you dont have them currently on, means you have a fuel tuner running and have O2 sensors disabled. If you have a fuel tuner with O2 sensors enabled, the fuel tuner is useless because you are in closed loop. Have you looked under the seat or in the left side panel cover below the seat? Thats where you would typically find the tuner module.

If you want to keep your O2 sensors, get an ECM tuner.
I've looked pretty hard and haven't been able to find a tuner attached anywhere which may mean that the ECM was reprogrammed. If that's the case then I may get lucky and be able to run her as is. Other than the change in volume and a little cackling on decel the bike seems to run close to what it did before the header swap to the true duels.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:44 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by USMCMSgt
I've looked pretty hard and haven't been able to find a tuner attached anywhere which may mean that the ECM was reprogrammed. If that's the case then I may get lucky and be able to run her as is. Other than the change in volume and a little cackling on decel the bike seems to run close to what it did before the header swap to the true duels.
Yes, its possible you have HD Stage one download. The other possibility is that whoever sold you the bike removed the fuel tuner so that they could sell it. But if that were the case, Id expect the bike to run like crap. At any rate, I would still suggest either Fuel tuner or ECM tuner. The HD download will work fine but you will still be running a little lean.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:10 PM
USMCMSgt
Intermediate

Yes, its possible you have HD Stage one download. The other possibility is that whoever sold you the bike removed the fuel tuner so that they could sell it. But if that were the case, Id expect the bike to run like crap. At any rate, I would still suggest either Fuel tuner or ECM tuner. The HD download will work fine but you will still be running a little lean.
I bought it at a local car dealer. The owner is a long time Harley guy and decided to branch out into selling motorcycles. They seem to be trying to do it right. They have a complete separate building dedicated with a showroom, full service shop, and parts counter as well (all aftermarket of course). Their Mechanic seems pretty sharp. I know he has a pretty sweet Street Glide that he's done most of the work on himself. He's also friends with the previous owner so I'm going try to get in contact with him.
I do know he removed his handlebars and put the stock back on, which I've since swapped to the heritage bars. And from what I'm finding out there's obviously been a few other changes. I guess that comes with buying a used bike (who knows what the last guy did).
Any Tuners you prefer?

Old 02-08-2016, 05:47 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain

I bought it at a local car dealer. The owner is a long time Harley guy and decided to branch out into selling motorcycles. They seem to be trying to do it right. They have a complete separate building dedicated with a showroom, full service shop, and parts counter as well (all aftermarket of course). Their Mechanic seems pretty sharp. I know he has a pretty sweet Street Glide that he's done most of the work on himself. He's also friends with the previous owner so I'm going try to get in contact with him.
I do know he removed his handlebars and put the stock back on, which I've since swapped to the heritage bars. And from what I'm finding out there's obviously been a few other changes. I guess that comes with buying a used bike (who knows what the last guy did).
Any Tuners you prefer?
Me personally I have a Powervision ECM tuner. It flashes your ECM and you can remove it, but I keep it mounted on my bars because it has configurable gauges from whatever your ECM outputs. It comes with autotune basic so if you put on your stock O2 sensors back on, you can refine your tune. If you buy it from FuelMoto one of the forum sponsors here, they can get you a good tune to flash and provide unlimited support. And their support is top notch. They also have a deal at $100 off retail right now I believe.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 PM
USMCMSgt
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I looked at the power vision, sounds like a nice setup but it's a little steep for me even with the $100 off. I'm thinking the Micro TFI might get me what I need. I talked to the Mechanic I mentioned earlier and he's going to ask the prior owner what he can give me to help figure what all's been done.
With the input I've gotten so far I'm probably going to go with a tuner just need to nail down what I want and how much I want to invest.
Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM
USMCMSgt
Intermediate

Me personally I have a Powervision ECM tuner. It flashes your ECM and you can remove it, but I keep it mounted on my bars because it has configurable gauges from whatever your ECM outputs. It comes with autotune basic so if you put on your stock O2 sensors back on, you can refine your tune. If you buy it from FuelMoto one of the forum sponsors here, they can get you a good tune to flash and provide unlimited support. And their support is top notch. They also have a deal at $100 off retail right now I believe.
BTW I noticed your out in sunny San Diego. I was out there for almost 15 years in the Corps. I love the area but the roots are here and the cost of living out there is crazy. I've got a close friend up in Oceanside who rides a nasty hard tail custom he built, He named it Hellraiser. If you ever see it you'll know who I'm talking about. Hoping to take a trip out to Cali in the summer, One of my sons is stationed out in 29 Palms. Enjoy that weather, can't find it anywhere else.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain

BTW I noticed your out in sunny San Diego. I was out there for almost 15 years in the Corps. I love the area but the roots are here and the cost of living out there is crazy. I've got a close friend up in Oceanside who rides a nasty hard tail custom he built, He named it Hellraiser. If you ever see it you'll know who I'm talking about. Hoping to take a trip out to Cali in the summer, One of my sons is stationed out in 29 Palms. Enjoy that weather, can't find it anywhere else.
Nice. Yeah cost of living sucks here. Been here my whole life But cant beat the weather. Its 80 degrees right now....lol. At any rate, glad to help. And thank you and your son for serving our country.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:04 PM
USMCMSgt
Intermediate
Default Newbie but leaning.

Update
As many of you have probably often seen I made the "newbie to Harley" mistake of jumping into something before I had a full understanding of what I was working with.
Lesson learned - Harley's are much more sensitive to improper AFR's than say a small block Chevy.

The upside is that after a few days research and some great input from you veterans of the Harley world I have a much better understanding of my machine.

Here's where I'm at:
It's a 2008 that came to me with a 2006 FLHxx exhaust system and older SE mufflers. Hence no exhaust ports.
It also has a high flow SE filter under the stock AC cover.
A mechanic helped me find the O2 wires. They were tucked away pretty good but they are there with canceling plugs on them.
The SM at the dealer hooked it up to his computer and It has a SE race tune map on the ECM. The tuner didn't come with the bike.
After installing the Cobra true duals the bike runs OK but on my test ride it was a little sluggish on acceleration and is running rough enough at 70 in 6th gear to rattle the molars. And the SE mufflers combined with the duals now have a sound pitch at highway speed that is very annoying to me and I'm sure most people within hearing range bikers included. You probably would not like riding behind me.

So here's where I'm headed.
Since I already have the Cobra Headers and I am happy with them I'm planning on continuing with Cobra for my exhaust and current tuning issues.
Thank God I didn't pay out money for a mod I can't work with, close one, but I'm fine so far.
The way I look at it company's like Cobra, Vance and Hines, Holley, Edelbrock, and Harley for that matter engineer their individual products to compliment each other. You can still mix and match but often you can end up with a more satisfying result by staying with one brand.
Since Harley's exhaust systems are a big chunk more than I want to spend I'm going with a aftermarket brand that has on the average high praise from happy customers, and quality products for a workable price. That should get me to my goal of having a comfortable bike that runs great and is dependable without breaking the bank.
The last things I'm trying to determine before I pull the trigger on the final purchase are what to do with the SE Race tune on the ECM, $37.00 will get it back to stock if needed, and should I reintroduce the O2 sensors into the mix.
I'm waiting for an email reply from the Cobra techs but I thought I would throw it out to you all and maybe get some more insight on the mapping and O2 sensors.

Thanks again.