Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Joe MInton's 95 inch Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:06 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Joe MInton's 95 inch Conversion

ORIGINAL: SaltySteve

Well, I should get my Bike back late today. I did the build as I stated in my 1st post. I did receive some excellant advice here from Doc and just reading around. But in the end I realized that after riding this thing for 6 years bone stock, that the article mentioned is the only 1 to make me say "Thats exactly what I've been looking for!" So I went ahead and did the build as published, knowing I may have to make an alteration afterwards. One thing that may come up is Ignition (maybe not), If told that I needtobuy an aftermarket Ignitionwhich one should I get? Is there any to stay away from?
Let us know your impressions after you get it back.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:09 PM
SaltySteve
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will do!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm interested, too, because I'm thinking of the same build, although I may move up to the 26 cam. I'm running the 21 in my stock 88 and it has awesome low to mid performance. I can only imagine what it would pull like with the 95 build. With that much more displacement I figure I'll be all right on the low end and the 26 will add a little more performance at the top.

The Wisecos are expensive and there are those that say that forged pistons are overkill for this build. But I'm thinking of sending the jugs down to Wiseco and letting them bore and fit the pistons there. That way I'd have a bulletproof setup that should last a long, long time.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 AM
SaltySteve
Intermediate

FYI, they don't bore anymore. They use someone down the street for that. My bike wasn't ready today but i'm going over tomorrow morningto watch them doan initial tune. They don't want to do a full bore run till about 500 miles. Hopefully everything will go well so I can ride it to the Gulfport Blowout this weekend. I will be leaving soon for work so I want be able to report the numbers till mid august. I'll add it this thread when I get it done.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:07 PM
SaltySteve
Intermediate

WOW!! Thats what I'm talking about!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Dirtrace95
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atleast run the 26 cam, You'll be alot happier. If you going to end up with
9.5-1 comp. id step up to the 37s. Now your talkin.[8D]

Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The only reason to go to a TW26 cam is to move the power up in the rpm range. If you like your power down low where you use it most often, then the 21 is great. Plus it will get better fuel mileage. If you race a lot or cruise at 85 or 90 mph all the time, then you might want more cam.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:38 PM
SaltySteve
Intermediate

I just returned from Gulfport (270 miles) on it and I have to say I like what I feel right now. I couldn't do anything wild with it yet due to breakin but the little I've played with it fells good. It is running meaner than I thought it would. When I get it on the Dyno I do not think he will have much to do to it. Wayyyyy better gas mileage. Now I have to figure this Supertrapp disks stuff out (there're all in now).

Old 05-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Rotti1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
I just rode mine home last night for 4hrs from the dealer ater doing the 95 upgrade. I had a cough or a hesitation twice where I though the bike was going to stall. Ran good for the rest though.
Did you encounter anything like this?

Smitty

Old 05-27-2007, 01:46 PM
SaltySteve
Intermediate

Negative. It is is running absolutly great, right out of the box. The only thing I had to mess with was the Idle. The SlyDogs Mech told me I might have to though. Fortunantly Mikuni has an extension thumbscrew attached to the idle screw, I did not even have to get off the Bike to do it.

Quick Reply: Joe MInton's 95 inch Conversion