Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

How Hot Will the Exhaust Get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:14 PM
jwmu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Hot Will the Exhaust Get?

I have read on the forum that several folks are using rtv high temp silicone to help seal slip ons to the stock pipes. I happen to have a tube of Super Blue Silicone Gasket Maker Type 613 and it is rated for up to 600 degrees F. Many different types exist like this one: http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?catID=1

I did see the recommended product, Permatex "Ultra Copper" High Temp RTc Silicone Gasket which is rated at 700 degree F. http://www.holeshot.com/chemicals/permatex_prod.html

Sorry for the long intro [sm=hail.gif]-- my question is HOW HOT WILL THE EXHAUST GET? BALLPARK NUMBERS OF COURSE or if you have a source even better.

Thanks & Cheers!
[sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 05-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: How Hot Will the Exhaust Get?

When you have good combustion theexhaust gasseswill be around 1350 degrees but that's not the pipe tem. I know the pipe gets hot enough to remove my skin VERY quickly...

Old 05-18-2007, 11:07 AM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know I wondered about that one too. I used to put high temp rtv (500 deg permatex orange) on the exhaust flange before putting the pipe on my dirt bike to seal it up. It wouldn't burn up and it lasted for years and I know that is a lot hotter than 500 deg. Doesn't make sence but it works.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 AM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer

At the muffler to headpipe joint it should work, on say a bagger.
Temps in those areas should in the 5 ~600 degree range but not always.

Unfortunately metal to metal fit does produce leaks.
Start up the machine and then have someone hold a thick rag over the exhaust outlet, if you hear spitting badat the joint it needs attention.Slight spitting isn't a big deal.
If you get popping on decelleration this may cure that too.

The stock HD torca clamps are stout and put a good bit of even clamping force on the joint and usually do not leak. Aftermarket clamos plain suck.

I have used permatex orange with moderate success at that joint. At times I have had to use marrow strips of foil around the mating surface along with the sealer.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:51 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Permatex High-Temp RTV Red will work on exhaust surfaces. The rating is for -65 to +650 degrees F. I've used it on automobile engines (exhaust manifolds), racecar engine exhausts, aircraft engine exhaust andturbine engine exhaust.It'll work fine. As was stated in another post, the actual temperature of the exhaust gas straight out of the port will be in the neighborhood of 1300 degrees. However, the gas cools rapidly once the energy has been released through combustion, and the pipe is connected to a large heat-sink called the cylinder head, so the pipe and port won't get nearly that hot.

EGT instrumentation roughly 12" downstream of the exhaust port would see temperatures in the region of 600-800 degrees F. As the gas moves down the pipe, temperature drops rapidly. If you know anyone who has an infa-red heat measurement tool, just shoot the skin temp of the pipe at the joint you wish to seal.

Here's a link to the Permatex stuff that I've used for as long as its been around:
http://www.permatex.com/products/aut...one_Gasket.htm

Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Very Good Post Pete!!

Old 05-18-2007, 01:45 PM
QT Hush
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My nephews' Street Rod caught his pants on fire sitting at traffic lights two times.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: QT Hush

My nephews' Street Rod caught his pants on fire sitting at traffic lights two times.
Tell him to change laundry soap..........!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:32 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We use plain old clear caulk for the slip on sealing trick and never have any one leak.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:29 PM
jwmu
Advanced

Thanks everyone!

I used some Permatex "Ultra Copper" High Temp RTc Silicone Gasket since it was only ~$5.00 tube at the local autoparts store and it is rated to 700 degrees (the highest I could find online).

I ran my finger inside the slip-on just before the slits and created a wide bead and reinstalled. The left side was great, but the right still leaked. I then took it off again and used more Silicone and place a small amount around the stock pipe as well where the leak was coming from. I let it set-up overnight and it seems to be good now. after 24hrs, I'll take it for a spin and then check to see how it is doing.

Seems like it worked though! Thanks.

[sm=biker.gif]