Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

99 Road king muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Heritage105th
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 99 Road king muffler question

Tried doing a search for this, not sure how to search for it. I have a 99 road King with stock carb, stage 1 air cleaner. I just installed some new mufflers and now have a decel popping noise. I went back to listen to the mufflers and noticed the left muffler is sucking in air and cold to touch, the right is hot and doing all the exhaust. My question is.... Is the normal?

I changed out the old exhaust because the right side one had dis-colored and now stands to reason why only one of the mufflers are dis-colored.

Puzzled

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2016, 11:58 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If I remember correctly, from '98 on they have a Y-pipe crossover under the seat for the rear header, correct?

If it's like my 07, most of the exhaust DOES come out the right side pipe. The front header really only uses the right pipe (it's not gonna reverse direction and head UP towards the rear head, then back down the left pipe). Then theoretically, the rear header is kinda 50/50 right and left, so it stands to reason the right side pipe is getting the lions share of the exhaust.

Stand behind any touring bike and feel the exhaust coming out of each side, the right pipe gets most of the exhaust on all of them.

Having said all that, if your left pipe is taking IN air instead of expelling exhaust, that's obviously far from normal. There should be SOME exhaust, just less. But if you're concerned about one being hotter than the other, don't worry about that, they're all like that until they changed them in 09.

Also, check for a crack in your rear header y-pipe. They ALL crack, I've had two crack so far.

The following users liked this post:
Heritage105th (08-27-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:19 AM
Heritage105th
Cruiser

Yes off the rear cylinder it y's going left and right. As it goes left it is warm to touch, farther down twards muffler the heat shield is cold and so is the muffler. I place my hand at muffler outlet and I can feel air being sucked in. Right side blowing out hot air and too hot to touch. I'm running RC components 4" slipons. But like I stated in my first post the right muffler us discolored and the left looks good.

Last night I was look at the factory carb and don't see an air fuel mixture screw? Thinking the popping might be able to be resolved by adjust that first. Otherwise it's going to require rejecting because the popping noise is now very annoying at every shift.

Thanks for your reply!

Old 08-26-2016, 09:57 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Get a Dynojet carb jet kit. In it's directions, it will show/tell you exactly where the mixture screw is located, and how to access it. It'll likely say "3 full turns out" from seated.
It will also have a selection of mainjets, a new jet needle and emusion tube. Maybe even a pilot jet too.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:33 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Heritage105th
Yes off the rear cylinder it y's going left and right. As it goes left it is warm to touch, farther down twards muffler the heat shield is cold and so is the muffler. I place my hand at muffler outlet and I can feel air being sucked in. Right side blowing out hot air and too hot to touch. I'm running RC components 4" slipons. But like I stated in my first post the right muffler us discolored and the left looks good.

Last night I was look at the factory carb and don't see an air fuel mixture screw? Thinking the popping might be able to be resolved by adjust that first. Otherwise it's going to require rejecting because the popping noise is now very annoying at every shift.

Thanks for your reply!
You will need to drill out the plug on the carb to get to the mixture screw. What you are describing for muffler color and temp is normal with stock head pipes. True duals are the only way to get even exhaust out of both sides...

Old 08-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Heritage105th
Cruiser

Just to end this thread, I went out today after watching you tube videos I might add " their awesome " tried to adjust air fuel mixture screw. Still popping, so I decided it wasn't worth messing with the carb at this point. Removed the mufflers and installed the old ones back on that were more restrictive. Popping ceased and runs and drives great like it did. If I don't sell these new mufflers, someday I will get a rebuild kit and a jet assortment and tackle this project. The delema is the bike is my daily rider rain or shine and the season is getting shorter very soon here.

Thanks for all the inputs!