Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

V&H Hi Output question

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 05:57 AM
soulpatch
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default V&H Hi Output question

2013 electra glide ultra classic, FP3 tuner, arlen ness big air sucker, stock pipes (cat removed) and V&H hi outputs.
Question is this: Tuned fantastic, still doing some minor tweaking. The base rumble from the hi outputs is good, but all base. There's no real bark to it. Almost sounds muffled like there's a blanket over them. They are new, have about 400 miles on them so far. V&H recomends not removing the baffle sock, but there isn't any other options as far as socks go (like a 1/2 or something). I've been wondering if anybody else has done something like remove the baffle, but put in the quiet insert? It'd open more sound, but yet, still keep a fair amount of back pressure for performance? Or, another thought was to remove the baffle socks and tack a couple round plates over the opening to the baffle (closest to engine). So everything is re-routed through the external baffle before coming out? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I did alot of reading/searching through here, but it seems that maybe nobody else seems to think they are too muffled. Guess what I'm looking for is more of the harley sound, without being completely obnoxious and losing too much low end torque.
Thanks - Soulpatch

Last edited by soulpatch; 09-28-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Tedwilliams09
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Give them 500 more miles.. mine took a while to get louder.

Here is the other factor.. they sound totally different when running full throttle.

Really talk once you hammer on it.

Have someone ride your bike so you can listen before you change too much.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:53 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Large volume system, big tubes, long big mufflers, it will tend to absorb some sound. The mufflers may tighten up some. But its not really well suited to stockish or mildly modified engines

Old 09-30-2016, 05:31 AM
soulpatch
Tourer

Well, it won't be stock for much longer, so i'm trying to plan ahead a bit as I go. Saves money and alot of extra effort. You'll love this though. Pulled the baffles out to see if there was any possible options.... The idiots who packed them left the shipping wrap on the baffles. Yes, there was melted blue "saran wrap" (shipping wrap), melted to the inside of my right pipe. Shredded the baffle upon removing. The left pipe wasn't as bad (pulled out in one piece), but that was only because the shipping wrap melted around the front of the baffle opening, keeping alot of the hot gasses from passing through and melting that to the inside of the pipe. Called vance and hines, the guy on the phone had a "you're an idiot" tone up until I emailed him the pictures. Needless to say, there are two brand new socks on the way and he was quite appologetic. So hopefully this will mean they will eventually start to break and sound better. Ultimately looking for a nice rumble when idle, going through the gears and a bit loud on the roll when needed. Nothing obnoxious, but something so people know I'm there when on the roads.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:55 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your 'packing' troubles; good thing they made it right.
I agree with give 'em some more time.
Sound you are looking for will improve with engine improvements; cams and compression... JMO

Old 09-30-2016, 05:15 PM
soulpatch
Tourer

Ya, i'm working on doing the updates to the engine as I go. Right now, just built a custom catch can for the crankcase breather. So that at least it's not venting hot gases and oil mist into the throttle body. Will cut some of the engine heat, increase power and help over-all cleanliness of the engine. Got the new socks installed and will break them in with some rides. See how it goes over-all. Eventually i'll likely upgrade to the 110 and maybe go to liquid cooling, but will figure it all out after reading a bit more.