Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

"02 Heritage FLSTCI remap for exhaust?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 04:25 PM
DVFLOYD
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "02 Heritage FLSTCI remap for exhaust?!

OK I get conflicting answers to this so I wanted to post it here.

2002 FLSTCI Fuel Injected Heritage Softail Classic. TwinCam 88B

Im wanting to do the Full System (V&H Longshots) and have been told by Harley I will have to have the bike remapped if I do.

My other option is a set of RUSH 2" slipons, which Ive also been told (by Harley of course) that Id have to remap... Removing the Stock slipons obviously removes back pressure from the engine, and Ive been told(once again, Harley) that I have to remap to compensate...

Harley Stealership wants over $500 in labor just to install their slipons, that doesnt count the cost of the muffs or a system themselves... which is outrageous. So I will not be going to Harley for this.

Not wanting to pay out the *** to remap the bike I am looking at the options.

Ive never owned a fuel injected bike before and I cant afford to get it wrong.

Knowing basically how Auto EFI works, I am confused as to why I need to remap the bike... Using the stock Air Cleaner there is no Air intake difference, and even if there was, Is the EFI system not programmed to compensate on the fly for differences in air and fuel percentages? Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Backpressure:

I've been told that Torque Cones will not help, but baffles will, and both are optimal to protect both low end torque and horsepower.

On my '88 Evo 883 with open drag pipes, I used torque cones to compensate for back pressure loss... the TCs made a HUGE difference... but it was carburated... I had the stock carb with stock jets and it ran AWESOMELY. Before I discovered the TCs I ran it wide open... most of its life. After over 25 years and 100,000 miles the original engine still ran great when I traded it in this year.

All that aside, If I DO have to remap this is the Harley Stealership the ONLY way to go? I have no warranty worries so legality is not important here... I just want a better exhaust system without tearing anything up...

This bike is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I cant afford for this bike to break, its my only transportation, so I have to check every box here...sorry for writing a book, I hope to find out that I'm overthinking this...

Attached Thumbnails "02 Heritage FLSTCI remap for exhaust?!-img_20150829_100647833_hdr.jpg   "02 Heritage FLSTCI remap for exhaust?!-15179123_10205880141162580_6732547198327833583_n.jpg  

Last edited by DVFLOYD; 11-29-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

You've been told a lot! In fact nothing has changed where modifying Harleys is concerned, in all the decades that I have owned them. We can still see Harleys of all ages popping and banging, running foul, probably a cow to ride, whether they have a carb or EFI. That is entirely down to ignorance and if we change stuff on our bikes, such as airbox or mufflers, the likelyhood is that we will join those ranks.

A stock bike complies with EPA regulations. Changing anything, such as air cleaner or exhaust, will mean your bike is no longer running on optimum EPA settings. When modifying a bike many dealers will offer to make adjustments, to reset the EFI etc, so it complies once again with EPA settings. I suspect that is what your dealer is offering.

An alternative approach is to make those mods, but retune your bike to do away with EPA regulations, so it runs on optimum pre-EPA settings. I suspect a dealer won't do that, but you should be able to find a local indy or tuning shop who will. If you mod your bike and don't tune it one way or the other you will be in no mans land and may have a rough riding bike.

I suggest you find a local indy, who will charge less and be more in tune with making mods to your bike

Last edited by grbrown; 11-30-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:31 PM
DVFLOYD
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
You've been told a lot! In fact nothing has changed where modifying Harleys is concerned, in all the decades that I have owned them. We can still see Harleys of all ages popping and banging, running foul, probably a cow to ride, whether they have a carb or EFI. That is entirely down to ignorance and if we change stuff on our bikes, such as airbox or mufflers, the likelyhood is that we will join those ranks.

A stock bike complies with EPA regulations. Changing anything, such as air cleaner or exhaust, will mean your bike is no longer running on optimum EPA settings. When modifying a bike many dealers will offer to make adjustments, to reset the EFI etc, so it complies once again with EPA settings. I suspect that is what your dealer is offering.

An alternative approach is to make those mods, but retune your bike to do away with EPA regulations, so it runs on optimum pre-EPA settings. I suspect a dealer won't do that, but you should be able to find a local indy or tuning shop who will. If you mod your bike and don't tune it one way or the other you will be in no mans land and may have a rough riding bike.

I suggest you find a local indy, who will charge less and be more in tune with making mods to your bike

Great advice and info. I do all my own work most of the time, was just asking questions at Harley... they automatically started trying to sell me **** instead of answering my questions...

Im gonna throw on some slipons for now and see how it goes... if I need to make more changes Ill make the call when I need to...

Thanks for the reply!