Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Californian looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 AM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13,166 Likes on 5,400 Posts

Originally Posted by cdonis
I should have added a disclaimer. I was speaking from my experience, that said I tend to ride in the valley, and foothills. That would suck to deal with the muffler police. What are the tickets based on? Epa stamps, or decibels they are measuring. I'd assume the first.
Tickets are usually and I say usually because normally they don't pull motorcycles over unless they're violating traffic laws.....then they can go into exhaust-pipe-tampering that exceed the EPA-regulated 80-decibel limit....and so on.....they can get you for anything if they want to be dicks about it.....

2 weeks ago my wife got pulled over for "crossing the double yellow"....she was lane splitting and moved over to avoid being hit and a CHP pulled her over for it....wrote her a ticket....she's going to contest it as she was trying to avoid getting run over by an idiot in a cager....she has after market slip ons on but the cop never said anything about them.....which I was surprised because the CHP are by the book....

Last edited by Hellbilly562; 12-09-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:36 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Chp tried to get me for speeding, which we both knew I was, but I wouldn't admit to it and he couldn't produce it on the gun. He could have hasselled me about my exhaust I guess. I think it depends on the part of Cali your in. Good luck to the op.

The following users liked this post:
Dustman345 (12-13-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 08:49 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,177 Posts

I have heard that they are cracking down in SF at touristy places like Fisherman's Wharf. Not a visual inspection thing, but your actions can bring on the heat.

From a few years ago... http://abc7news.com/archive/6840340/

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Dustman345 (12-13-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:37 AM
badvlvo
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never had a hassle on the pipes myself. A few friends have had issues, but that's when they are running no baffle, riding hard, revving, or generally being a jackass, either in traffic, at night in a quiet town, or both. Don't be a dick and most cops won't hassle you.

If you need someone who can ship into CA without worry about the CARB restrictions let me know, I've got a guy who only wants a disclaimer, and from there he will ship to CA. He shipped my exhaust and tuner that nobody else would ship to CA, even thought the exhaust is BUILT in CA.

Dustman345 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:45 AM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

I have after market VH slipons and have never been hassled. But then again, I don't ride like an A-hole either. I figure as long as I'm abiding by the law when riding and not reving the **** out of my bike, I'll be fine.

My neighbors sure seem to like the the sound of my bike. There's a couple older guys who are always out "patrolling" the neighborhood and usually when I ride by them, they give me the thumbs up and give the sign to rev my motor. I usually just smile, wave and ride away as quietly as I can.

Dustman345 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 AM
Nelz
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

No issues in the ultra-liberal Bay Area.

Dustman345 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:01 PM
Dustman345
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badvlvo
I've never had a hassle on the pipes myself. A few friends have had issues, but that's when they are running no baffle, riding hard, revving, or generally being a jackass, either in traffic, at night in a quiet town, or both. Don't be a dick and most cops won't hassle you.

If you need someone who can ship into CA without worry about the CARB restrictions let me know, I've got a guy who only wants a disclaimer, and from there he will ship to CA. He shipped my exhaust and tuner that nobody else would ship to CA, even thought the exhaust is BUILT in CA.
Thank you, I may take you up on that offer if I have issues. I am looking at buying in the Jan/Feb time frame.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 PM
TriSum
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great! I live in Huntington Beach and haven't been hassled with baffled fishtails, but I'm putting an engine together with a 2 into 1 that I'm sure will be quite a bit louder...

David

Old 01-14-2017, 09:04 PM
nigelli
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel sorry for your experience but do what you think could bring you hassle, exhaust or ticket. I agree that laws vary from one place to another so you can consider your primary preference.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 PM
Trudger1272
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi all! I'm new here to the forum, live in LA and just bought my first bike this month. I find it funny because everyone who talks to me about my stock 48, a)expects it to be much louder and b)always suggest I maker it louder. I'm not thinking anything drastic though. Maybe some V&H straight shots.

Quick Reply: Californian looking for advice